: A fake prop weapon is replaced by a real one.
- Straight: Alice's character is to kill Bob's character in a play they are acting with, but her retracting fake knife has been replaced (without her knowledge) with a real one and she fatally stabs him.
- Exaggerated: The actors in a play are to have a battle and wield fake weapons, but all the weapons have been secretly replaced with real ones, and they all kill each other.
- Downplayed: Alice's fake weapon is secretly replaced with a real one, and she accidentally wounds Bob, but not fatally.
- Justified: The substituted weapon was so similar that Alice did not even look for a difference.
- Inverted: Alice tries to kill Bob for real (outside of the theater), but when she tries to stab him she finds her knife has been replaced by a fake one.
- Bob makes a very realistic show of dying, with blood, that everyone thinks the weapon was real. Then he gets up, unharmed.
- Alice fires the real gun unknowingly but Bob is unharmed since she was aiming to miss to prevent accidents with blanks.
- Double Subverted: ...but another actor then kills Bob's character with a Not-So-Fake Prop Weapon.
- Parodied: Alice doesn't realize that the massive sword that replaced a realistically sized plastic is real, even though it is extremely heavy and scratching the floor as she tries to drag it.
- Zig Zagged: The gun was replaced with a real one with a metal round. Charlie the prop assistant notices this, and replaces it with the prop disintegrating rubber bullet. Which turns out to still cause damage from the force. But Bob could take everything but was weak against rubber. Except that Charlie knew that she was weak against rubber and the original one would be harmless to her.
- Averted: Alice's character kills Bob's character with a prop weapon that actually is fake, just as they planned.
- Enforced: Alice was originally written as killing Bob out of jealousy. Executives shot it down due to Bob's large fandom. But Bob still had to die for the plot to make sense and the decision came after the budget was used filming the action scenes. Charlie replacing the bullet is added before the on stage shooting and Alice is shown horrified and staring at the gun in disbelief.
- Lampshaded: "Sheesh, talk about killing the OSHA whale."
- Invoked: Charlie wants to kill Bob, and does it by proxy, by substituting Alice's fake weapon for a real one.
- Exploited: When the theater is under siege by gangsters Daniel goes for the prop gun, knows that there is a good chance someone was planning on killing Bob so when armed men burst into the theater he goes for the prop gun to defend against the outside threat and foil the assassination attempt.
- Defied: "Before I go onstage, I'll just check that I have the correct knife."
- Discussed: ???
- Conversed: ???
- Deconstructed: Alice is declared insane as a result of her negligence in not picking up any clues that the weapon was real.
- Reconstructed: ...and this starts off a quest to prove her innocence.
Back to Not-So-Fake Prop Weapon