Playing With: Mukokuseki
Basic Trope: Characters in an Anime or Manga series are stated to be Japanese, but don't look like Japanese people at all.
Back to Mukokuseki
- Straight: Sakura lives in Japan, but she has blonde hair and blue eyes.
- Downplayed: Sakura lives in Japan but has red hair which is rare but possible without any other heritage.
- Sakura is only half Japanese.
- Sakura is a foreigner, but has been living in Japan for a long time.
- Sakura was born and raised in Japan, but her parents are foreign.
- Sakura is an albino.
- Inverted: Alice is stated to be European, but she has the black hair and almond eyes of an East Asian person.
- Sakura is stated to be an American student studying abroad in Japan, going by a nickname.
- Sakura is Japanese, but has dyed her hair.
- Alternately, East Asians (like Sakura) are drawn in the Anime look. Sarah, and the Americans and the Canadians in-universe are drawn in a more realistic Superhero comic style. Europeans, on the other hand, look like the classic Princess-and-Prince-Charming Disney characters.
- Double Subverted:
- Zig Zagged: Sakura has blue eyes and blonde hair, but is stated to be Japanese. However, later you find out that her real father was foreign, but his father was Japanese. Eventually, after going through a long, convoluted family tree, the viewer finds out that she is actually African. South African.
- Averted: Sakura (and all other Japanese characters in the series) are drawn in a much more realistic style.
- Enforced: "We need to make a character who stands out more."
- Lampshaded: "You don't look Japanese at all!"
- Sakura wants to look like all the American women she's seeing in the magazines she reads, and contemplates changing her hair and eye color.
- With Designer Babies and fashion-ability of exotic looks parents choose to add more variety to the appearance of their children.
- Exploited: Sakura is an American and uses this trope to disguise herself.
- Defied: Sakura then decides that look just isn't her, and decides against dyeing her hair and wearing blue contacts.
- Discussed: "I don't think Sakura's from around here. I mean, she's blonde!"
- Conversed: "Lots of Japanese Anime characters don't look Japanese."
- Played For Laughs: Sakura is an obsessive Americanophile, parodying the Occidental Otaku stereotype.
- Played For Drama: Racial tensions are explored in this particular series.
Back to Mukokuseki