'''Basic Trope''': A character manipulates others in order to further their goals.
** Bob tells [[TheAtoner Alice]] that if she doesn't help him defeat Emperor Evulz, she will be never forgiven for her bad deeds.
** Bob hatches a plan to trick Alice into doing what he wants.
** Bob is capable of manipulating TheChessmaster!
** Bob manipulates each and every single one of the characters in the story, both good guys and bad guys, and [[WildCard everything in between]].
* '''Downplayed''': Bob is very reluctant to manipulate people, but is willing to do so if necessary.
* '''Justified''': Bob is TheEmpath, which is what allows him [[GoodPowersBadPeople to take advantage of others' feelings]].
* '''Inverted''': ExtremeDoormat
** Bob wasn't trying to manipulate Alice. He genuinely feels that way.
** Bob wants to be this trope, [[BigBadWannabe but is VERY bad at it.]]
* '''Double Subverted''':
** Bob is manipulating Alice into thinking he genuinely feels that way.
** [[ObfuscatingStupidity Of course being terrible at manipulation was what Bob wanted everyone to think all along...]]
* '''Parodied''': Bob manipulates people into doing things he could do himself in a few seconds: such as picking up a pencil.
* '''Zig Zagged''': Alice manipulates Bob into thinking he's manipulating her.
* '''Averted''': Bob never manipulates others.
* '''Enforced''': "We need someone to take advantage of TheHero's kindness".
* '''Lampshaded''': "All you told me were lies! You were just using me!"
* '''Invoked''': ???
* '''Exploited''': Alice knows Bob is trying to manipulate her, but plays dumb so that Bob lets his guard down.
* '''Defied''': Alice knows Bob is trying to manipulate her, and calls him out on it.
* '''Discussed''': Bob and Steve talk about the moral implications of manipulating Alice.
* '''Conversed''': "This show is just plain sick! Bob tricks Alice into doing everything he wants her to do, and Steve treats him like he's in the right."
* '''Deconstructed''': Nobody trusts Bob because he keeps manipulating them.
** Bob plays the long game with his evil plans and frames other people, so nobody catches on.
** Because no-one trusts him, Bob relies almost entirely upon reverse psychology instead, to much the same effect as if they did trust him.
* '''Played For Laughs''': [[LaughablyEvil Bob]] [[PokeThePoodle manipulates Alice into doing only slightly evil things, like not recycling]].
* '''Played For Drama''': Bob tricks Alice into killing her friend Charlie. When Alice [[MyGodWhatHaveIDone realizes what she's done]], she murders Bob.
Wouldn't the world be a better place if you just went back to the ManipulativeBastard main page?
%% Optional items, added after Conversed, at your discretion:
%%* '''Implied:''': ???