Playing With: Love at First Sight
Basic Trope: Two characters meet and instantly fall in love.
Back to Love at First Sight
- Straight: Princess Alice of Tropetopia and Sir Bob, brave Knight in Shining Armor, meet one day and fall madly in love.
- Exaggerated: Princess Alice has a habit of falling in love with every single man she sees.
- Downplayed: Princess Alice and Sir Bob spend the day together and fall in love over the course of the day.
- Subverted: Princess Alice and Sir Bob meet eyes and stare at each other as soft romantic background music is playing...then they shrug and go their separate ways.
- Double Subverted: ...only to turn around and declare undying love to each other.
- Zig Zagged: Princess Alice and Sir Bob meet eyes and stare at each other as soft romantic background music is playing...then they shrug and go their separate ways...only to turn around and declare undying love to each other, then it turns that both of them had met before this incident and pretended to fall in love at first sight for political reasons. Then it's revealed that they both had love at first sight but kept it well hidden.
- Princess Alice and Sir Bob barely notice each other.
- Princess Alice and Sir Bob do not have any particularly strong feelings for each other when they first meet, but later get together.
- Enforced: "We need these two to fall in love over the space of one episode".
- Lampshaded: "Wow, we fell in love at first sight. That is so corny".
- Invoked: Sir Bob spends all day walking around looking at strangers, waiting to fall in love with someone.
- Exploited: Alice is a manipulative shrew that convinces men to fall in love with her at first sight so she can steal their assets and dump them.
- Defied: "Of course I'm not in love with that person I just looked at! There's no such thing as love at first sight!"
- Discussed: "I can see that our princess and that knight are attracted to each other. Strange, considering that they haven't exchanged a single word yet".
- Conversed: "Have you ever noticed that people in these shows always seem to be in love five seconds after seeing each other?"
- Princess Alice marries Sir Bob after falling in love, they get married, and their marriage is miserable because they are both too innocent and idealistic to make a real relationship work. They break up and are left in tears with their life in shambles.
- Princess Alice and Sir Bob's romantic feelings turn out to be nothing more than simple attraction, not true, unending love. Their feelings for one-another quickly begin to fizzle out as they begin discussing their personal interests as opposed to telling the other they look beautiful.
- Alice and Bob turn out to be long-lost siblings. (Explanation)
- However, because they're so in love with each other, they work hard to make sure that their relationship actually works, so they're able to avoid the various pitfalls of Love at First Sight.
- But they don't mind.
Back to Love at First Sight