Playing With: Life Drain
Basic Trope: An attack which deals damage and heals the user.
Back to Life Drain
- Straight: Bob casts "Life Drain" on Alice, damaging her and healing himself.
- Exaggerated: Bob's "Life Drain" attack keeps syphoning life from Alice even after she's dead.
- Downplayed: Bob's attack restores his HP...by 1 point.
- Justified: Bob is a vampire and is drinking Alice's blood for sustenance.
- Inverted: Bob is an Empathic Healer and drains his own life to heal Alice.
- Bob stands over Alice while glowy life energy leaves her body and is absorbed by Bob, but Alice isn't hurt and Bob isn't healing.
- Bob drains life from a Muck Monster, and the toxic ooze in its body causes him to lose HP instead of healing.
- Double Subverted: Until after a few such instances, Alice develops Cancer, and Bob's tumor that he secretly had the whole time has disappeared.
- Parodied: Bob chews on his pet cat whenever he bangs his knee on a table.
- Zig Zagged: Bob appears to be draining health from Alice, but it turns out Alice was in fact being healed by Bob...until Alice gets cancer...as a side effect of the healing, so Bob draws the cancer into himself...but it turned out he was a cancer mage and was farming tumors inside Alice's body...because the cancer powers his Empathic Healing
- Averted: Bob throws a fireball at Alice instead.
- Enforced: "We need more ways for the player characters to heal themselves. Let's let them drain life from the bad guys."
- Lampshaded: "Not sure if I lost a year off my life, or I just gotta fart."
- Invoked: Bob becomes a vampire just to gain energy draining powers.
- Exploited: Alice gets off on having her life energy drained and goads Bob into doing so.
- Defied: "Oh no you don't, Bob! I brought my anti-draining armor!"
- Discussed: "Hey, if you wanted to suck on me, you could have taken me out to dinner first. Jeez"
- Conversed: "You know, when you think about it, it's a metaphor for Rape." "Except rape doesn't turn you into a mummy." "You just don't get metaphors, do you?"
- Implied: Any time Alice fights/interacts with Bob, she comes off looking pale and sickly. It could be some poision or disease, but who knows?
- Alice pushes Bob into a plastic box, where he is rendered completely harmless.
- Aice is immune or resistant to the life drain effect, and simply stabs Bob in the face.
- Played For Laughs: Getting to second base is really difficult when you drain your girl's life force.
- Played For Drama: I shall reiterate, getting to second base is really difficult when you drain your girl's life force.
Back to Life Drain