'''Basic Trope''': A sham proceeding headed by a HangingJudge.
* '''Straight''': [[HangingJudge Judge Alice]] decides that Bob is guilty of murder, without any evidence, and throws him into jail.
* '''Exaggerated''': Alice punishes Bob by having him shot to death by an angry mob.
* '''Downplayed''': Alice decides Bob is guilty for shoplifting, with no evidence, and gives him a $20 fine.
** Alice is a KnightTemplar who indiscriminately punishes people she sees as "sinners". Bob happens to be one of them.
** Bob is living under a dictatorship, and he is seen as a state enemy.
** Bob is in a community that is mostly cut off from the rest of the country, meaning it doesn't have to go by the laws because there is nobody from the higher government to enforce this.
** Bob is given a fair trial, and is acquitted.
** Bob is acquitted by the judge and is declared innocent despite evidence to the contrary.
* '''Subverted''': The trial seems staged to Bob but it is not--it simply follows the rules of a different legal system.
* '''Double Subverted''': But even under that system it is unfair.
** The judge presiding at Bob's trial, along with all other members of court, [[VisualPun are actual kangaroos]].
** Bob tries to defend himself, but the judge and jury use InsaneTrollLogic to convict him anyway.
** Alice's court openly brags about its absurdly high conviction rate.
* '''Zig Zagged''': There are fair judges, as well as corrupt ones.
* '''Averted''': Alice is a fair judge.
* '''Enforced''': The creator wanted to show just how much of a bastard a group was and decides to do it by having the hanging judge.
* '''Lampshaded''': "Hey, did you realize that the number of convictions has risen five-fold after Alice was appointed as a judge?" "Yeah, I wonder why..."
* '''Invoked''': Somebody wants Bob out of the way and uses a lot of money to get it made so.
* '''Exploited''': Bob, aware of impending verdict, decides to make a complete and total ass of himself during the trial, to the point that that the court is left with 2 options: Convict Bob and let him basically use this freedom to incriminate and insult everybody involved because he's already being punished, or let him go so he won't talk.
* '''Defied''': Bob exposes the judge before the trial so that a non-hanging judge could reside.
* '''Discussed''': "I may be innocent, but Alice is presiding at my trial. I don't think this will end well."
* '''Conversed''': ???
* '''Deconstructed''': After one too many false verdicts, someone informs the government about Alice, who is investigated for corruption. She is found guilty, and is stripped of her position.
* '''Reconstructed''': After a heavy checking, somebody noticed that the effect was actually positive to a point, and the government lets Alice keep going but assigns only very specific cases to her that would otherwise legally let a guilty party go.
* '''Played For Laughs''': Bob is a HateSink who - among many other things - loves to inflict DisproportionateRetribution over "offences" that never even took place. While they do have enough real dirt on him to give him the desired sentence anyway, the heroes decide it'd be more fun and karmic to send him through a mock trial that uses InsaneTrollLogic to convict him of bizarre things.
Back to KangarooCourt
%% Optional items, added after Conversed, at your discretion:
%%* '''Implied''': ???
%%* '''Plotted A Good Waste''': ???
%%* '''Played For Drama''': ???