Playing With: I Know Madden Kombat
Basic Trope: A character incorporates tactics from non-combat sports into his / her fighting style.
Back to I Know Madden Kombat
- Straight: As a zombie apocalypse rises on town, Bob decides to use his experience as a semi-professional batter to lay waste on the living dead.
- Exaggerated: Bob has developed an intricate battle style based entirely on non-combative sports, which includes football tackles, basketball dunks, soccer kicks, baseball pitching, etc.
- Downplayed: ???
- Bob's experience as offensive linemen on an American football team allows him to hold his ground as an impromptu sumo wrestler.
- Bob's experience as a pitcher allows him to throw things with speed and accuracy.
- Someone good at baseball must have a good eyesight, accuracy and strength to successfully hit a ball with a bat. Same skills are required to bash skulls with bludgeoning implements. The fast running part also is a nice bonus, and experience as a pitcher can translate as good aim with a thrown rock/grenade.
- Martial Arts and Crafts
- Bob's mastery on martial arts allows him to play soccer on a prodigious level.
- Subverted: Bob, an incredible basketball player, get involved into a fight with a vicious killer-robot and everyone expects him to use his court moves to repel it, but instead he fights it by using karate.
- Double Subverted: ...But when the robot is decapitated by a powerful kick, Bob snatches its head and starts dribbling it before doing a slam dunk on a nearby net.
- Parodied: Bob is a highly skilled assassin that uses a lethal form of Golf to dispatch his targets on incredibly violent and messy ways, always using his trusty Iron-9. Trust me, you just DON'T wanna know.
- Zig Zagged: ???
- Averted: While the story features several sport practitioners, no character incorporates tactics from their personal sport into his / her battle style.
- Enforced: "Sadly, we didn't had a martial arts choreographer for the fight scenes on this film. We had, however, a rather imaginative sports' coach that suggested we might improvise something funny yet flashy by using sports-moves."
- Lampshaded: "Hell yeah! It's time to use my screw-ball to save mankind from sure annihilation!"
- Invoked: Bob dons his American football gear and tactics as a way to piss off and disturb the concentration of an Arrogant Kung-Fu Guy.
- Exploited: ???
- Defied: Despite being a professional batter, Bob decides to take an intensive fencing training to properly learn how to use a sword before a battle comes.
- Discussed: "We aren't talking about broken dreams, the agony of defeat nor the lost of an important sponsor, Bob: If you fail this ONE pitching the world is friggin' doomed! DOOMED!!!"
- Conversed: "This battling-batter stuff is getting a bit cliched... Hey! But what about a guy with a Bobsled-based fighting style!" "That would limit his action range quite a lot, don't you think?"
- Deconstructed: Bob's incorporation of sports tactics into his battle style is a reflection of his inexperience and lack of discipline, a critical fault that his opponents don't hesitate to exploit, which results in humiliating defeats.
- Reconstructed: Thanks to the strength, skills and discipline he has earned by playing sports, Bob's learning of the martial arts is made considerably easier. Plus, by incorporating unorthodox tactics into his personal style, he's capable of throwing experienced opponents off-balance.
Back to I Know Madden Kombat