Playing With: Hacker Cave
Basic Trope: The computer-laden place where a geek spends the majority of their time.
Back to Hacker Cave
- Straight: Seamus O'Taku's bedroom is cluttered with screens, wires, sound equipment, etc.
- Exaggerated: Seamus' bedroom is so cluttered with such that one would not immediately recognize it as a bedroom, and even he can't find his bed!
- Downplayed: Seamus' room only has a couple of screens and wires as well as some speakers dotted around.
- Seamus needs all this stuff for the work he does.
- Seamus sells computer parts on the black market; his bedroom doubles as a warehouse.
- Seamus (or his family) is wealthy enough to afford all this tech stuff.
- Seamus spent a while trying to collect all the computers for this. Mostly the computers stay inactive, bar one or two for general use, but from time to time Seamus activates all of the machines to do some complicated computing or tests.
- Seamus' bedroom has nothing technological in it, save for a light fixture.
- Seamus' parents are wealthy architects, so his room has several floor-to-ceiling windows, letting in lots of natural light. It's not so much a hacker cave as it is more of a hacker atrium.
- Subverted: We are told Seamus' bedroom is loaded with lots of tech stuff. It turns out to have a computer, TV, stereo, or some such in it, but that's it.
- Double Subverted: But down in the basement, where his home office is, Seamus has more techno-crap than your average computer store!
- Parodied: Seamus' whole house is like that.
- Zig Zagged: There's a hacker attic too!
- Averted: Seamus's bedroom has a computer, TV, stereo, or some such in it, but that's it.
- Enforced: Hollywood Nerd, Otaku, etc.
- Lampshaded: "Wow, you sure like computers..."
- Invoked: Seamus buys a computer, then decides he wants all these add-ons, then decides he wants all this other stuff.
- Exploited: Seamus has a decoy downstairs full of outdated computers and equipment he salvaged from a junk yard, his real hacking takes place on a laptop he keeps with him.
- Seamus is on a shoestring budget, and as much as he wants all this techno-equipment, he just cannot afford it. He knows he won't use all of it all the time, and so cannot even justify it as an "investment." Furthermore, he knows that all this tech stuff will be obsolete in six months (or less) anyway.
- Seamus values mobility, and thus does his hacking from a laptop.
- Discussed: "Seamus sure has lots of computers."
- Conversed: "I know he's One of Us, but this is ridiculous!"
- Deconstructed: If Seamus is spending all his money on computer stuff, how will he ever afford such things as rent, food, etc.?
- Seamus spends a good amount of money, but never beyond his means.
- Seamus uses at least part of his time and effort with the tech on earning money to fund these things, whether legitimately or otherwise.
- Played For Laughs:
- Seamus has no room for anything important, like, say a fridge. His toilet is in front of his main computer, and he doesn't even know where his bed is (let alone if he even has one.)
- Most of the screens serve no purpose
- Someone logs onto (or hacks into) one of the computers, and finds Seamus O'Taku's Porn Stash
- Played For Drama: Legal trouble if this is ill-gotten hardware and software.
Back to Hacker Cave