Playing With: Friendly Rivalry
Basic Trope: Two characters who are rivals, but are rather friendly about it.
Back to Friendly Rivalry.
- Straight: Steve and Pete are rivals, but they treat each other like the best of friends.
- Exaggerated: Steve and Pete are rivals, but they happen to be closer than anyone would expect.
- Steve and Pete aren't technically best friends, but they're rivals with genuine respect.
- Although Steve and Pete's rivalry isn't that friendly, they still have respect for each other.
- Just because Steve is on the Opposing Sports Team is no reason for Pete to hate a guy he's always known.
- Steve and Pete enjoy competing with each other. They have their rivalry because it's fun for them.
- Inverted: Steve and Pete are teammates who hate each other's guts.
- Subverted: One or both members of the rivalry were just faking the amicability for some reason.
- Double Subverted: Becoming the Mask kicks in.
- Parodied: Nobody would have guessed they were rivals if not for their fights. Said fights remind the other characters of... something else entirely.
- Zig Zagged: Sometimes Steve and Pete are friendly for being rivals, sometimes they can't stand each others' guts.
- Steve and Pete are rivals who don't like or respect each other.
- Steve and Pete don't have a rivalry at all.
- Enforced: "We don't have a place for mortal enemies on this show, but conflict is essential for a good plot... I think I know what to do."
- Lampshaded: "What's up, Pete! Let's have a little friendly competition just for old times' sake."
- Invoked: ???
- Exploited: Someone who is in love with both Steve and Pete holds off telling any of them before finding out who is a better loser - by manipulating them into competing even more than they usually do.
Pete: "Look, Steve. Either you stop trying to one-up me in everything or you stop being all friendly with me when you're not. One or the other."
- Discussed: "What, they're arguing over something pointless again?"
- Conversed: "Steve and Pete on that show remind me a bit of me and my brother..."
- Implied: Pete and Steve are never shown together, but occasionally they will both be seen with small bruises and other minor injuries. Whenever they're asked about it, they say that they "met up with this one guy", grinning widely.
- Deconstructed: Steve and Pete take their competitive attitudes too far and this brings a permanent stain in their friendship.
- Reconstructed: After the point is driven home, they restart their friendship and tone down the competition.
Back to Friendly Rivalry.