Playing With: Et Tu, Brute?
Basic Trope: A character is betrayed by their loved ones.
Back to Et Tu, Brute?
- Straight: Bob is abandoned by his long time friends.
- Exaggerated: Bob's friends, family, and lover betray Bob to join Emperor Evulz.
- Downplayed: While Alice remains on Bob's side, the other friends leave him.
- Bob's friends are deceived by Emperor Evulz, thinking that Bob is becoming a threat to the world due to his powers.
- Bob's friends are fed up of Bob doing things that has endangered their lives many times.
- Bob is a Pragmatic Hero who has done a lot of questionable things, but they were the only solution to save the world.
- Bob's friends are brainwashed by Emperor Evulz.
- Bob had made a selfish decision that would earn his loved ones to lose their respect for him, and now Bob has to live with this downfall for as long as he lives.
- Inverted: The minions of Emperor Evulz become friends with Bob.
- Subverted: It appears as though Bob's friends are going to betray him, but then they reject Evulz's offer and stay loyal to Bob.
- Double Subverted: But this was all of a ruse. One of Bob's friends attacks him from behind.
- Parodied: ???
- Zig Zagged: It would seem that whenever Bob messes up, they all abandon him, and whenever Bob seeks reconciliation, they all return to his side, but then there's Evulz telling some lies (or truths) about Bob...
- Averted: Bob is never betrayed by his friends, family, etc.
- Enforced: "We need something to put Bob into despair. How about having his friends turn their backs on him?"
- Lampshaded: "You guys can't leave me here. You're my friends! What are you thinking?!"
- Invoked: Emperor Evulz offers Bob's best friend a lot of money to betray Bob. A lot of money, maybe even enough to soothe his conscience.
- Exploited: ???
- Defied: Bob's friends decide that no matter what happens to him and no matter what he does, they will stay by his side.
- Discussed: "Why would I betray you, Bob? I'm your friend, just like Alice and the others."
- Conversed: "Bob's friends turning their backs on him is the worst thing to ever happen to him. If I thought Evulz beating Bob only once was that bad, being betrayed by his friends seriously takes the cake."
- Deconstructed: As Bob's loved ones turn their backs on him, he becomes a revenge-driven maniac out to mercilessly kill them.
- Played For Laughs: Bob's friends abandoned Bob all because he was illegally downloading videos on the internet.
Back to Et Tu, Brute?