Playing With: Don't Sneak Up On Me Like That
: An incident of friendly fire
resulting from someone taking a friend by surprise.
- Straight: Alice is sneaking around the house in the dark with a baseball bat, thinking there's a burglar in the house. It's really her boyfriend Bob, who walks up to her in silence and taps her on the shoulder. *THWACK*.
- Exaggerated: Alice whirls around and beats Bob to a pulp in blind terror before she realises who it is.
- Downplayed: She turns around, bat raised, but notices who's there and stops herself before angrily rebuking him for scaring her.
- Justified: There really is a killer in the house, and Alice is right to be jumpy... but Bob can't risk calling out to her in case he alerts the bad guy.
- Inverted: Alice sees a shape facing away from her, and sneaks up behind it. She tells the intruder to turn around slowly, and jumps out of her skin when she recognises Bob.
- Subverted: Alice just stops herself hitting Bob, and sighs in relief. Cue Bob's Psychotic Smirk as he sticks a knife in her chest.
- Double Subverted: Alice just stops herself hitting Bob, and sighs in relief. Then she beats the shit out of him for giving her such a fright.
- Parodied: Alice has been on guard all night, keeping herself awake with Klatchian Coffee. Every single stimulus makes her freak out and run screaming at it, baseball bat swinging.
- Zig Zagged: Alice goes on a prolonged hunt through the dark house. She gets a Cat Scare, starts Walking Backwards straight towards a shadow in the corner, the shadow reaches out, and *POW*, she knocks out... Bob! That fool, why didn't he say something!? Oh, he was trying to be quiet because the killer is in there too - we can see him sneaking up on Alice as she tends to an unconscious Bob...
- Averted: Bob sees Alice on the prowl and wisely decides to call out to her across the room.
- Enforced: The writers need a believable reason for Alice to kill Bob, her one true love who's never done anything to hurt her.
- Lampshaded: "Don't Sneak Up On Me Like That!"
- Bob knows that once Alice's Unstoppable Rage is in progress, the only thing that will snap her out of it is if she harms a friend, so he resolves to take the hit.
- Alice is a secret agent undercover as a wimpy civilian. Bob wants to blow her cover.
- Exploited: ???
- Defied: "Oh god, Alice is in Berserker Mode again. I'll go give her a Cooldown Hug." "Are you crazy? You'll get yourself killed!"
- Discussed: [Alice feels a hand on her shoulder] "PleasebeBob, pleasebeBob, pleasebeBob..."
- Conversed: "Oh, don't walk up behind her, you idiot!"
- Played For Laughs: Alice is playing Grandmother's Footsteps. Despite knowing the rules perfectly well, her reflexes take over whenever anyone taps her on the shoulder, and before long no-one wants to sneak up on her.
- Played For Drama: Alice ends up dealing Bob a fatal blow when he surprises her, leading to a severe My God, What Have I Done? reaction that send her past the Despair Event Horizon.
AAAH! Oh, it's you! Get back to Don't Sneak Up On Me Like That