'''Basic Trope''': A character is receiving a punishment that is out of proportion to reason to said punishment.
** Bob plots to murder Alice after she insults him.
** Judge Alice sentences Bob to life in prison for petty theft.
** Bob plots to murder Alice and her entire extended family after she accidentally brushes against him on the subway.
** Bob stubs his toe on a rock coming out of the ground, so he destroys the entire planet.
** Judge Alice sentences Bob to ''death'' for littering.
* '''Downplayed''': Bob plots to break Alice's leg after she gets him fired.
** Bob is extremely mentally unstable and psychotic, prone to blowing things out of proportion.
** In fact, Bob doesn't know the meaning of the word "proportion."
** Bob hates Alice so much [[RationalizingTheOverkill he believes that she deserves it]].
** Bob believes Alice intended to get him fired so she could have his position, [[MisplacedRetribution when it was somebody higher up who wanted Bob fired]].
** Bob is TheSociopath, so he has no moral conscience and thereby believes that killing Alice would be an appropriate response to getting fired.
** Getting fired caused a chain of events: Bob's wife leaving him, getting evicted, losing all his money, and the death of his beloved cat. Bob believes that ruining Alice's life is justified by this
** Bob is in a violent CrapsackWorld, or at least subculture, where keeping a reputation for permitting no slight against himself is [[DeliberateValuesDissonance necessary if he wants to be taken seriously]].
** Judge Alice is a HangingJudge with [[KnightTemplar extreme]] views on law enforcement.
** After Alice murders Bob's family, [[PokeThePoodle he plays a practical joke on her]].
** Although Bob's reasons for revenge initially seem trivial, it is revealed that Alice has in fact wronged Bob in a more serious and justifiable fashion.
** Bob makes it look like he murdered Alice's family as an elaborate practical joke.
** Alice shoots Bob after he demotes her, but not on purpose: the gun was only meant to scare him.
* '''Double Subverted''':
** Bob's planned revenge is still drastically over-the-top.
** The staged murders are just the first step in an elaborate process of [[BreakTheCutie making Alice suffer]] psychologically.
* '''Parodied''': Bob attempts to murder anyone who accidentally throws a paper airplane at his head.
* '''Zig Zagged''': Bob plots to get Alice murdered after she gets him fired. He hires a sniper to shoot Alice. However, the sniper, Charlie, doesn't fire at the last moment because Alice is his girlfriend. Bob, seeing all this, knocks out Charlie and grabs the rifle. It misfires when he tries to fire at Alice, however, so Bob, in frustration, throws the rifle... at Alice.
** Bob's revenge is entirely proportionate to Alice's offense.
** In this factor, Bob plans to get Alice fired after she gets him fired.
* '''Enforced''': In Bob's culture and the story's time period, this escalating CycleOfRevenge is perfectly (and disturbingly) normal.
** "You don't think that taking revenge to this degree is a little... excessive?"
** "[[RationalizingTheOverkill This punishment may be overboard, but it's truly justified!]]"
* '''Invoked''': Bob uses threats of DisproportionateRetribution to terrify anybody who might otherwise challenge him, and brutally carries those threats out to the letter when somebody mistakes them for IneffectualDeathThreats.
* '''Defied''': "Seriously, what happened to me wasn't ''that'' bad; I'm not going to go crazy here."
** [[MagnificentBastard Diane]] uses Bob's psychology to send him after her enemies by tricking them into pranking him.
** Alice insults Bob to goad him into attacking her [[KillingInSelfDefense so she can kill him and claim self-defense]].
* '''Discussed''': "Ran into Bob yet? Well, be very careful, he set Charlie on fire for giving him scalding hot coffee once."
* '''Conversed''': "You have to wonder what those people who make overblown revenge plots are compensating for."
** Bob spends all his money and loses his job, friends, and credibility trying to get his disproportionate retribution. He probably fails, too, since the RubeGoldbergDevice of a plot is likely to implode. ''And'' even if he succeeds, BeingEvilSucks and he realizes it cost him more than it was worth.
** He realizes how insane this plan is after he executes it, then it comes to bite him in the ass.
** Those around Bob see his attempts in revenge for something small as being petty and immature. Authority figures see him as unhinged for the extent he is willing to go for revenge and suggest he be institutionalized.
** Judge Alice's extreme sentencing make crime even worse as criminals decide to try and kill all their witnesses as the punishment for their crime is already so severe that any additional penalties resulting from murder are irrelevant.
** Bob has serious repressed anger from being wronged by Alice in a way that ''does'' merit his over-the-top vengeance, her recent mistreatment of him just happened to be the straw that broke the camel's back.
** Based on Machiavelli's "People should either be caressed or crushed" and to avoid "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind", Bob carries out a very potent revenge on his target to fully neutralize them, as [[MoralMyopia said target is the kind to violently retaliate when properly punished]].
* '''Played For Laughs''':
** If you interrupt Bob, or express hatred for any of his favorite things, he'll kill you, but the victim will come back.
** Alternatively: If you interrupt him, [[CoolAndUnusualPunishment he'll make the victim watch Barney the Dinosaur]], cue horrified screams.
* '''Played For Drama''':
** This all results from a serious anger problem and a lack of understanding of consequences and what is proportionate; every time his little brother, sister, or son is picked on, a building goes down.
** Bob intended to only break Alice's knee, but Bob was unaware that Alice was a hemophiliac, leading her to bleed uncontrollably and die, forcing Bob to run, as he is now a murderer.
If you go back to DisproportionateRetribution, I will [[AndYourLittleDogToo kill your pet turtle]]!
%% Optional items, added after Conversed, at your discretion:
%%* '''Implied''': ???