: A happy ending is ruined by a sudden plot development.
- Straight: Bob stops the Big Bad and marries Alice, but Alice dies in a car accident after the wedding.
- Exaggerated: Alice and Bob are about to get married when a huge asteroid crashes into Earth directly above their wedding, killing everyone in a 200 mile radius.
- Downplayed: Alice and Bob have Wedding Smashers, but fight them off. Instead of a happy or a sad ending, they get a Cliff Hanger or And the Adventure Continues.
- Inverted: Deus ex Machina
- Subverted: Alice gets in a car accident after the wedding, but goes to the hospital and makes a full recovery.
- Double Subverted: ...but the hospital catches on fire, and she burns to death.
- Parodied: The series is an extremely dark Black Comedy, and whenever something good is about to happen, something ridiculously horrifying happens to the protagonist for no particular reason.
- Zig Zagged: During the final showdown with the Big Bad, the villain and the hero take turns pulling lots of new powers out of nowhere and appearing to curb stomp each other until one of them eventually runs out of new powers.
- Averted: The story ends without any unexpected plot twists.
- Lampshaded: "Hey, what were the odds that Alice was just going to die just after the wedding?"
- Invoked: ???
- Exploited: ???
- On the way home from the wedding, Alice drives more carefully than usual, and avoids an accident by a few seconds.
- The Big Bad saves Alice from the asteroid, wanting to kill her himself.
- Discussed: "Don't think you're safe just because you stopped the mafia boss. There are still a lot of drunk drivers on the road."
- Conversed: "Alice dies in a car accident? What a stupid ending."
- Played For Laughs: Bob is a Cosmic Plaything and The Chew Toy, and may or may not be an Unsympathetic Comedy Protagonist.
Back to Diabolus ex Machina