'''Basic Trope''': A tragic event that leads a character to lose hope.
* '''Straight''': Bob kills Alice, which causes her sister Claire to lose all hope.
** Claire loses hope to such a degree that she [[DrivenToSuicide commits suicide]].
** Claire loses hope to such a degree that she becomes a StrawNihilist.
** All of Claire's friends and family die, on the same day she loses her house and her ability to walk. She'll never be able to dance again.
* '''Downplayed''': HeroicBSOD
* '''Justified''': Fate has dealt Claire a losing hand. It's natural to feel that things will never get better.
* ''' Inverted''':
** The death of Alice motivates Claire to live life to the fullest.
** While Claire lost hope ages ago, once the villain is defeated, she manages to recover some of it.
* '''Subverted''': DarkestHour - Claire starts to lose all hope after Bob kills Alice, but gets better.
* '''Double Subverted''': ...except [[StepfordSmiler it was all an act]], and she really has crossed the DespairEventHorizon.
* '''Parodied''': Bob steals Alice's pencil, which causes Claire to make a FaceHeelTurn and become an OmnicidalManiac.
* '''Zig Zagged''': MoodWhiplash.
* '''Averted''': Nothing traumatic happens to Claire.
* '''Enforced''': CreatorBreakdown.
* '''Lampshaded''': "I'll never feel happiness again."
* '''Invoked''': Bob deliberately kills someone close to Claire to break her.
* '''Exploited''': ... and attacks her once her guard is down.
* '''Defied''': Claire refuses to give up hope, knowing that things will get better through time.
* '''Discussed''': "Ever since Alice got killed, Claire's not done anything but sit there, and she barely eats!"
* '''Conversed''': "We need to show the heroine at her lowest so we can develop her character and have her recover as a stronger person."
* '''Deconstructed''': Because Claire has lost all hope, this eventually leads her to adopt an extremely cynical mindset which would then cause her to go beyond the MoralEventHorizon alienating those who cared for her.
* '''Reconstructed''': Sometimes, DespairEventHorizon is exactly what someone needs to break free from a YankTheDogsChain-style EpiphanicPrison, and to move on.
* '''Played For Laughs''': She just lives the rest of her life in fetal position.
Oh no! It's the end of the page! How can we continue on past this point? Well, we could go back to DespairEventHorizon.
%% Optional items, added after Conversed, at your discretion:
%%* '''Implied''': ???
%%* '''Plotted A Good Waste''': ???
%%* '''Played For Drama''': ???