Playing With: Casting Couch
Basic Trope: A character wants to get a part in a TV show/movie/play and must have sex with a producer or casting director to do so.
Back to Casting Couch
- Straight: Alice is auditioning for the lead role in a play, and is told she must have sex with the director, Bob.
- Bob asks only to see Alice nude before he casts her.
- Alice gets the part first, but Bob harasses her.
- Justified: Alice is auditioning for a role in the adult entertainment industry.
- Bob must have sex with Alice if he wants her to be part of the cast.
- If Alice sleeps with Bob, she will not get the role she wants (e.g. a Secret Test of Character).
- Taking it a step further, Alice makes one too many unwanted advances towards Bob, and is told that if she doesn't knock it off, they'll kick her off the project.
- Alice refuses to have sex with Bob.
- Bob does make a pass at Alice, but he still gives her the part when she refuses.
- Double Subverted: Because of her refusal, Alice is cast as an extra instead of the lead, or cut from the cast entirely.
- All the female characters form a harem for Bob.
- Every place Alice looks for acting work has this as a stipulation.
- Zig Zagged: ???
- Averted: Sexual favors of any kind do not factor into Alice getting the role.
- Enforced: ???
- Lampshaded: "If you want this role, you must do one thing: sleep with me, right here and now."
- Invoked: Bob gets a Raging Stiffie for Alice and tells her she'll get the role she wants, in order to make her more willing to sleep with him.
- Exploited: ???
- Bob feels this is wrong and doesn't do this.
- Or, Alice refuses and goes looking for acting work elsewhere.
- Discussed: "So, I heard Alice slept with Bob to get the role..."
- Conversed: "Ugh, disgusting. Whatever happened to casting people based on their acting talent, rather than their talent in bed?"
- Deconstructed: Because this involves Sexual Extortion (i.e. blackmailing someone into sex), this technically counts as rape.
- Reconstructed: Alice goes to find work elsewhere. It may not be easy, but she won't be reduced to what's basically a whitewashed prostitute for it.
- Played For Laughs: Alice is very Hollywood Homely.
- Played For Drama: Alice must choose between her dignity and her career.
Back to Casting Couch