Playing With: Captive Date
Basic Trope: At least two people are on a date together, with at least one of them being there against their will.
Back to Captive Date
- Straight: Bob kidnaps Alice and forces her to have dinner with him.
- Bob goes to incredible lengths to abduct Alice and ensure that she has no chance of escaping, hiring mercenaries to act as security and keeping a tracking device attached to her. He also goes as far as to cordon off an entire mall and actors that won't help Alice so that he and Alice can have an uninterrupted but otherwise normal date.
- Alice and Bob are both being blackmailed into the date by a third party with a warped sense of humor.
- Downplayed: Alice needs something done that only Bob can do for her. She doesn't particularly like him, but going on a date with him is the price he demands for his cooperation.
- Bob is a male Yandere and Alice doesn't like him, so forcing her to go out with him is the only way to go on a date with her.
- Alice has to marry Bob as part of a magical ceremony that will grant Bob and his followers immense power, but Alice doesn't want to go through with it and simply forcing her to say yes to the vows won't make the spell work, so they kidnap her and set up the date.
- Bob hopes that if he keeps Alice captive long enough, she'll develop Stockholm Syndrome and fall for him.
- Inverted: Alice is held captive to keep her from dating Bob.
- Subverted: Alice's friends bust in to rescue her during the date, but it turns out it was all an act for a TV Drama. The producers never told Alice's friends in order to get some easy (and free) "method acting" out of them.
- Doubly Subverted: Bob and Alice convince her friends that she's in no danger, but it's later revealed that Alice was being mind controlled.
- Alice is on a blind date and acts as if she's being held captive.
- Bob helds Alice on a leash while they dine together.
- Zig Zagged: ???
- Averted: Alice is never kidnapped or forced to do anything by Bob.
- Enforced: ???
- "You're really so desperate to spend time with her that you'd kidnap her? Dude, she's not into you!"
- "Look, I know you had other plans tonight, but if you'd just stop screaming and try the wine, I think we could have a really romantic evening together."
- Invoked: Bob takes everything literally, and when Alice turns him down, remarking that she'd have to be kidnapped and forced to go out with him to ever spend time with him, he immediately calls up some mercenaries to get the job done.
- Defied: Bob is in love with Alice, and she doesn't like him, but Bob realizes that kidnapping her and forcing her to go on a date with him is just plain illogical and would never get her to like him.
- Exploited: ???
- Discussed: ???
- Conversed: "...What the hell kind of date is this?!?"
- Implied: Halfway through a mundane dinner, Alice says "This is so stupid - I'd be better off elsewhere!" and gets up. Bob looks at her and says "That's not true. Something inapropiate might happen." Alice sights and sits back on her chair.
- Deconstructed: Because she's there against her will, Alice doesn't have a good time and because of that, Bob doesn't either.
- Reconstructed: Because the date is forced, Bob doesn't care about Alice having a good time. His only concern is admiring her all dressed up while unable to leave.
- Played for Drama: Alice is kept tied up, and is incredibly terrified. She struggles against her bonds as Bob taunts her and explains that she's never going to escape or see her loved ones again.
- Played for Laughs: Alice is kept Bound and Gagged but is more annoyed than scared, and Bob is extremely nervous and makes an utter fool of himself as he tries to woo Alice. Bob also interprets Alice's grunts and muffled groans as her saying that she likes him.
Back to Captive Date