Playing With: Bondage Is Bad
Basic Trope: Bad people tend to be into fetishism and BDSM.
Back to Bondage Is Bad
- Straight: Villain Bob dresses like a fetishist or is into BDSM; no non-villains are shown to dress the same way or have the same interest.
- Exaggerated: The villain is only villainous because they want new people to dominate and torture sexually against their will.
- Downplayed: Bob is a jerk who is into bondage and inconsiderate to his partners and their enjoyment.
- Justified: Bob's behavior is caused by him being a sociopath or general bastard, not him being into kinky stuff, despite a lack of showing examples of non-bastards with the same kink. Alternatively, the show keeps parroting outdated psychoanalytical theories or similar in order to establish its position as "scientific".
- Inverted: There are two very different ways to do this. One is to make sadomasochism a sign of being cool. The other is to make being into only vanilla (non-kinky) sexuality a sign of being a bad person.
- Bob's interest in BDSM make Alice and/or the audience wrongly believe that Bob is a bad person.
- Alternatively, Bob is acting abusively and tries to avoid blame by invoking prejudice about BDSM to portray himself as a victim. However, it turns out that the people around him have a far too good grasp on Safe, Sane and Consensual for that stunt to work.
- Note that using BDSM without implying that either character is evil is not a subversion, it's just Casual Kink.
- Double Subverted: It eventually turns out that he's a real bastard after all.
- Parodied: Owning a pair of fluffy pink handcuffs is treated as a Moral Event Horizon.
- Zig Zagged: ???
- Averted: Being into BDSM is no big deal.
- Enforced: The author dislikes bondage (or is into the whole Sex Is Evil=Evil Is Sexy thing), and making bondage bad would appeal to him/her.
- Lampshaded: "Look out! He's naked and carrying ropes!!!"
- Invoked: A political rival gets her opponent to be spotted in public with BSDM gear and starts a smear campaign around that.
- Exploited: ???
- Defied: The Hero is into bondage.
- Discussed: ???
- Conversed: ???
- Deconstructed: Showed to be mere prejudice... or a self-fulfilling prophecy.
- Reconstructed: ...But then it's shown that like with anyone else, while there are good people doing it harmlessly, there are bad people who fit the trope too.
- Played For Laughs: People who are into bondage are depicted as complete losers who constantly get into various inconvinient situations due to their sexual preference.
Back to Bondage Is Bad