'''Basic Trope''': A black character that is used simply as a means to make the white character look better. The black will usually have no personality whatsoever.
* '''Straight''': Bob has made friends with Jon simply because he's black and wants to look good.
** Alice and Betty [[HeterosexualLifePartners spend every waking moment together]] and Betty will only ever speak in accordance to [[SatelliteCharacter Alice's every whim]]; to the point that you can forget that Betty's even there because of how the story is all about Alice.
** Alice and Betty are SchoolgirlLesbians, or BaitAndSwitchLesbians.
* '''Downplayed''': Betty does listen to Alice's problems and helps out... but only in more casual affairs. When a problem is major enough, Alice is mostly on her own.
* '''Justified''': Betty is a very minor side character introduced as Alice's best friend because they have specific interests in common and like spending time together.
** Bob genuinely made friends with Jon because they had similar interest.
** Jon made friends with Bob because he's white.
** Bob made friends with Jon simply to look good, but have become close to each other.
* '''Double Subverted''':
** However, it turns out Bob was just using Jon to look more accepting.
** After befriending Betty, Alice takes out a list named "Obligatorily Ethnic Acquaintances" and checks off the point labeled "Black Friend".
** Betty is ''blatantly caucasian'', [[HandWave she's adopted]], y'see...
* '''Zig Zagged''': Betty is introduced as a sore BlackBestFriend of Alice, but as time goes on, Alice starts befriend other character while Betty becomes less of a sterotypical trope and is revealed to have deeper characterization and motivation other than helping Alice, plus Betty having her own company. Nevertheless, Betty and Alice are considered and/or proven to be the best of friends.
** Betty is not just Alice's friend. She has characterization and motivations beyond Alice.
** Betty is simply a side character that Alice knows, but one with characterization beyond Alice knowing her
* '''Enforced''': An attempt to introduce diversity to the series or movie
* '''Lampshaded''': "And these are Alice and Betty, or as we affectionately call them, SaltAndPepper."
* '''Invoked''': Alice meets Betty, and the two of them instantly hit it off as best friends.
* '''Exploited''': [[BlackAndNerdy Bob]] gets his friend Betty to set him up with [[WhereDaWhiteWomenAt her best friend Alice]]
** Betty firmly asserts that she has her own motives in mind and won't be a pawn in some [[PositiveDiscrimination affirmative action quota]].
** Alice wants nothing to do with Betty and vice versa.
* '''Discussed''': ???
* '''Conversed''': ???
* '''Implied''': Alice's best friend, Betty, is AmbiguouslyBrown.
** This may be a case of PositiveDiscrimination, depending on how it's played out. (i.e. if Betty is a MarySue)
** It's clear that Betty's entire existence [[SatelliteCharacter revolves around Alice]]; depriving her of [[TheGenericGuy any identity of her own]].
** Betty becomes increasingly frustrated with always being seen as Alice's "sidekick" and having her problems ignored in favor of whatever small problem Alice is going through. [[WhatTheHellHero She eventually calls Alice out on her self-centeredness and breaks off their friendship.]]
** Betty isn't a MarySue type character; she is a normal human being who will freely state her opinions and call Alice out on any foolishness. The same holds true for Alice.
** [[MyGodWhatHaveIDone Alice realizes how single-minded she has been and does her best to make it up to her.]]
** Alice appreciates Betty's contribution as her bestfriend, so she tries her best to encourage and help Betty as much as she can in return.
* '''Played For Laughs''': SaltAndPepper
* '''Played For Drama''': Alice and Betty's world is [[RaceTropes pretty racist]], and people don't approve of their spending time together, which takes a toll on their friendship.
Back to BlackBestFriend
%% Optional items, added after Conversed, at your discretion:
%%* '''Plotted A Good Waste''': ???