* This trope is very common in legends and stories dating back thousands of years.
* OlderThanFeudalism: Moses and Oedipus are two characters abandoned by their parents. Also see MosesInTheBulrushes.
* KingArthur is a more recent example.
* The story of Romulus and Remus, who allegedly founded [[AncientGrome Rome]], were abandoned on a mountainside. They were found and raised by a she-wolf. Depending on your translation, this could mean that they were ''actually'' RaisedByWolves, or it could mean that they were rescued and taken in by [[HookerWithAHeartOfGold a prostitute]] or [[MissKitty a madam]].
* In the ''Literature/BookOfExodus'', Moses is set adrift in a basket on the Nile River by his mother, in hopes of protecting him from the soldiers of the NephariousPharaoh (who had ordered them to slaughter all newborn Hebrew male babies, in order to secure his throne). Moses' older sister Miriam saw the whole thing, including the part where the Pharaoh's daughter found him and decided she would raise him, and offered to go find a wet nurse for the Pharaoh's daughter. [[SubvertedTrope The wet nurse turns out to be their mother, Jochebed]].