Nightmare Fuel / Ralph Bakshi
As the first well known film director of animation strictly intended for adults, Bakshi's films have shocked and surprised audiences ever since their creation. For anyone only familiar with happy child friendly and safe family entertainment in animated cartoons, his stuff can be truly frightening and disturbing...
- The entire cartoon universe in this film is loud, obnoxious and truly unpleasant to be around.
- The film was also originally meant to be an animated horror film about a half-human/half-cartoon girl who hates herself and tries to kill her father.
- The bald headed mafiosi decapitating two ugly rats by shooting their heads off. In a close-up shot!
- His own weird death is also memorably f***ed up!
- The Grossup Close Up face of the maffia don!
- Those weird mosquito like creatures who work for the maffia don and kill off everyone who bothers him.
- Seeing cute furry cartoon animals having sex, doing drugs and killing each other in cold blood: it's... disturbing! And it certainly was for audiences back in 1972!
- The death of Duke. He is shot by a stray bullet. Cut to a billiard ball slowly bumping to a motionless state, accompanied by the sound of heart beats slowly coming to a stop.
- The rabbit's spaced out look after shooting himself up with heroin.
- The farmer who is so annoyed by the chickens in his truck that he smashes them to a bloody pulp!
- The rotoscoped strippers in some scenes look like a photograph negative. Frightening!
- The scenes where the legless guy is shadowing people at night in the streets. All you hear are the sounds of his approaching wheels...!