A Japanese ero-guro group describing themselves as "freak-show punk," blending rock music with dark theater, formed in 1998. The group consists of a core band and a troupe of actors. Their performances include skits and scenes interspersed with rehearsed and improvised music, and they often perform spontaneously in public areas. Through the group, troupe leader Miyaaku Sensha conveys a world which he describes as "the antithesis of modern society." To that end, the members don black uniforms and white makeup, performing a variety of atmospheric and plot-related roles in harmony with the music.Band Members:Miyaaku Sensha (leader, Harsh Vocals), Tsukikage Mika (melodic vocals), Ikyou Akane (female backing vocals), Morita Testsudou (guitar), Kirihira Ranse (bass), Choujou Shouko (piano, synth), Kamata Eiki (drums)(Often joined by a guest shamisen player)Actors/Actresses:Yoshie, Toki Utamo, Amau Chiyako, Kotobuki Souya, Kiriko, Azami Chihiro, Kuchikase Kanako, Mayuzumi KaikoAlbums:
- Kagamimachi ni te (2004)
- Mousou Renai Tan (2008)
- Origin of Blood (2009)
- Setsudan Igaku EP (2010)
Strawberry Song Orchestra provides examples of:
- Concept Album
- Concept Video: For Manatsu no Temari Uta and Setsudan Dahlia
- Dark World: The group's fictional universe is a dark inversion of current daily life.
- Lead Bassist: Ranse is a minor Type C, having the most flamboyant and lively stage presence.
- Motor Mouth: Sensha, especially when his fast, harsh growling is contrasted with Mika's deliberate, elongated singing.
- One-Woman Wail: Mika's singing style.
- Putting on the Reich: Their uniforms evoke those of the Nazis, complete with red armbands emblazoned with the kanji for "strawberry" in a swastika-like shape. Also, some of their performances include . . . questionable gestures
- Revolving Door Band: Originally played straight, with the early actors "graduating" and frequent drummer changes. Averted in the past few years following the first album.
- Rock Opera
- Sopranoand Gravel
- The Quiet One: The actors seldom have speaking roles, although some occasionally contribute backing vocals.
- Vocal Tag Team