The whole line up
"I've got a meeting in the ladies' room... I'll be back real soon."
Klymaxx is an all-female R&B
band from Los Angeles, California
. They formed in 1979, founded by drummer Bernadette Cooper. Other members of this band are lead vocalist Lorena Porter, guitarist Cheryl Cooley, bassist Joyce Irby, and keyboardists Lynn Malsby and Robbin Grider.
The band's discography is:
- Never Underestimate the Power of a Woman (1981)
- Girls Will Be Girls (1982)
- Meeting in the Ladies' Room (1984)
- Klymaxx (1986)
- The Maxx Is Back (1990)
- One Day (1994)
Excuse me, ladies. These tropes are here with me:
- Affectionate Parody: In one sketch on Saturday Night Live, Halle Berry plays Bernadette, and there's a fake advertisement for "The Best of Klymaxx" compilation album, which includes two unreleased songs, "I'm Not Dutch" and a cover version of Duran Duran's "Hungry Like The Wolf".
- Amazon Brigade
- Awesome McCoolname: "Fab Attack" plays this for laughs on every member except Bernadette.
- Lorena: Lungs
- Cheryl: Unruly
- Lynn: Lynnie Pies
- Joyce: Fenderella
- Robbin: Space Baby
- Boyish Short Hair: Bernadette
- Cover Version: "Ain't Nobody" by Chaka Kahn.
- Several aversions: "Heartbreaker (I'm Such A Mess)"note , "Danger Zone", "Shame", and "The Night Moves"note .
- Boyz II Men covered "I Miss You", so did Kyla. "I'd Still Say Yes" was also covered by The Braxtons.
- Demoted to Extra: Second guitarist Ann Williams and percussionist Judy Takeuchi in the first two albums.
- Distaff Counterpart: They are perhaps a female version of The Time.
- Fashionable Asymmetry: Some of the members do this.
- Mundane Made Awesome: "Meeting In The Ladies Room" has been spoofed in a Pepto Bismol ad.
- Myspeld Rökband: With Xtreme Kool Letterz to boot.
- Nobody Loves the Bassist: Joyce Irby, mostly due to her "Fenderella" nickname in her early years of playing bass guitars.
- Real Song Theme Tune: "Man Size Love" in the 1986 film Running Scared (well, not that one).
- Rock Trio: Lorena, Cheryl, and Robbin in The Maxx Is Back.
- Suspiciously Similar Substitute: Terri Lyne Carrington taking Bernadette's place in One Day.
- Token Minority: Lynn is the only white woman in the band.
- What Could Have Been: Their unreleased 1983 album, Girls In A Band.
"It's so easy to see. I miss you and me."