Music: James Durbin
James Durbin is a rock-and-roll singer and guitarist from Santa Cruz, California. He got his big break when he competed on the tenth season of American Idol, ultimately finishing in fourth place. Shortly after that, he recorded and released his first album, Memories of a Beautiful Disaster, which has enjoyed a fairly significant amount of success. In April of 2014, he released his second album, Celebrate.Discography:Memories of a Beautiful Disaster (2011)Celebrate (2014)
James Durbin provides examples of the following tropes:
- Calling The Old Man and the Old Lady Out: In "Screaming", Durbin says his parents are "liars" for saying that his life would get better.
- Childhood Friend Romance: "May", but it doesn't end well. See Death by Childbirth below.
- Cover Version: "Everything Burns" is a cover of a song by Anastacia and Ben Moody.
- Death by Childbirth: Happens to the title character in "May."
- Grief Song: "May" tells the story of a Childhood Friend Romance that ends with the girl dying while giving birth to a baby girl.
- Lighter and Softer: "May" compared to the rest of the songs on the album. Celebrate in general is poppier than Memories of a Beautiful Disaster.
- Rockstar Song: "Stand Up" is a song about how awesome it feels to perform on stage.
- Shaped Like Itself: Apparently, the title character in "May" was "just like she was." Subverted later on, when it turns out he's saying that their daughter is just like her mother.
- Shout-Out: "Fool For Love" has the line "Would she like me better if I was Bruno Mars?"