[[caption-width-right:173:Daguerrotype, c. 1849]]
Fryderyk Franciszek Chopin[[note]][[ItIsPronouncedTroPAY pronounced as "show-pan" or "show-pun"]], and no, it doesn't rhyme with "choppin'" or "shoppin'"[[/note]], also known by the French version of his name, Frédéric François Chopin (his father was French-born) (1 March 1810 –- 17 October 1849) was a Polish composer from the Romantic Era of ClassicalMusic. Born in 1810 in Poland, he wrote almost exclusively for the piano, and his works are well-known for both their lyrical content and technical demands. When Russia invaded Poland, he left his home country, [[YouCantGoHomeAgain never to see it again]]. He nevertheless kept his national spirit through his writing of some of the best-known mazurkas and polonaises. He [[MasculineGirlFeminineBoy had an affair with writer George Sand]] at some point, before [[TooCoolToLive dying]] [[IllBoy unfortunately young]] in 1849 of [[IncurableCoughOfDeath tuberculosis.]]
!!Some of his more famous works include:
* the Fantaisie-Impromptu in C-sharp minor, Op. 66
* the Funeral March that serves as the slow movement of his second piano sonata (B-flat minor, Op. 35)
* the "Revolutionary Etude", the Étude in C minor, Op. 10 No. 12
* the Nocturne in E-flat major, Op. 9 No. 2
* the Waltz in D flat major, Op. 64, No. 1, popularly known as the Minute Waltz (Petit Chien)
* the Polonaise in A flat Major, Op. 53. Also known as the "Heroic Polonaise".
* the Ballade in G minor, Op. 23, No. 1
!!Chopin in fiction:
* A fictional (with ''lots'' of artistic liberties) depiction of him serves as the main character of ''VideoGame/EternalSonata'' (because [[GermansLoveDavidHasselhoff the Japanese love Frederic Chopin]]).
* He is mentioned as being dead in the song "Decomposing Composers" by Creator/MichaelPalin sang on Creator/MontyPython's ''Audioplay/MontyPythonsContractualObligationAlbum''.
* He and seven other Classical composers appear in "Classicaloid" as having been reborn into the modern day Japan. Chopin in particular is now a hikikomori who is best friends with Franz Liszt.