Cathedral is a Doom Metal band from Coventry, England formed in 1989, and disbanded in 2013. They are credited with blending doom metal with the darker aesthetics of extreme metal, culminating in a very slow, very heavy sound with . In the mid-90s, they soon lightened up into a more groove-oriented, stoner rock sound. Frontman Lee Dorrian has since gone on to form With the Dead with Tim Bagshaw and Mark Greening (both ex-Electric Wizard), which is roughly the spiritual successor.Discography:
- Forest of Equilibrium - 1991
- The Ethereal Mirror - 1993
- The Carnival Bizarre - 1995
- Supernatural Birth Machine - 1996
- Caravan Beyond Redemption - 1998
- Endtyme - 2001
- The VIIth Coming - 2002
- The Garden of Unearthly Delights - 2005
- The Guessing Game - 2010
- The Last Spire - 2013, is apparently their last album.
Cathedral provides the following trope examples:
- Doom Metal: One of the more influential and popular bands of the genre.
- Epic Rocking: Being a doom metal band, this is a given.
- Feelies: The digipack CD of Garden of Unearthly Delights is scratch-and-sniff. The idea is that the disk warms up while playing and emits the smell of apples.
- Genre Shift: Gradually shifted from very heavy Doom Metal with harsh vocals to a somewhat more upbeat, Psychedelic Rock-influenced Stoner Metal style. Their later material moved back towards their earlier sound with some Progressive Rock elements added in.
- Harsh Vocals: In their earliest work only.
- Mohs Scale of Rock and Metal Hardness: Some of Forest Of Equilibrium gets up to a 9. Most of the rest of their work is in the 7-8 range though, with the odd drop down a 6. They've also got a few tunes such as "The Caravan" that drop down a 1-2.
- New Sound Album: The Ethereal Mirror is the first sign of more Stoner-influenced sound, with slightly faster tempos and cleaner vocals. Endtyme returned them to more straightforward Doom Metal territory, albeit with cleaner vocals. Later albums fall somewhere between the two extremes.
- Word Salad Lyrics: Have fun figuring out just what the fuck Lee Dorrian is singing about half the time, especially on their earlier material.
- Word Salad Title:
- Many of their songs, such as "Kaleidoscope Of Desire", "Melancholy Emperor", "Cyclops Revolution" and "Utopian Blaster".
- The album titles Supernatural Birth Machine & Caravan Beyond Redemption