Music: Beat Happening
Beat Happening is an American Indie Pop band from Olympia, Washington. They are an influential band in the lo-fi and twee pop movements. The band is signed to the seminal independent label K Records, a favorite of Kurt Cobain, and founded by lead singer Calvin Johnson.
Beat Happening provides examples of:
- Basso Profundo: Calvin's voice can go pretty deep in song.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: Though "Indian Summer" sounds innocent and somewhat childish, it features a few surprisingly suggestive lyrics, such as "I'll drink from your drain" and "boy tasting wild cherry".
- These lyrics may simply be aligned with the puerile capriciousness and innocence of the song.
- Fiery Redhead: "Red Head Walking".
- New Sound Album: 1993's You Turn Me On is a huge departure from the soft twee pop of Jamboree, especially on "Godsend," a 9-minute droning riff-based song.
- Non-Appearing Title: There's no mention of a "derby" in "Pine Box Derby"...the lyrics are all about the "pine box rock" (which of course would lead to Refrain from Assuming).
- Three Chords and the Truth: The band was known for its minimalistic sound.