is a dark manga by Shina Soga, which ran between March 2009 and January 2011 in Shounen Sirius
and has been collected in 4 volumes.
In Slum Street, there lives a necromancer, Asutsuo Johann-Faust. If someone wishes to have another brought back to life, provided that they can bring all the bones intact to him, he can resurrect them by taking three years of the client's life and giving it to the deceased. However, the process also amplifies certain characteristics within the resurrected individual. The story mostly deals with the clients who come to the necromancer, the circumstances of the resurrections, and the consequences. However later on, events from Asutsuo's past start to catch up to him.
Aside from Asutsuo, other recurring characters include his owl companion Stolas, Ricott Pronema, a detective with a strong sense of justice, and Knochenfresserin, a demon with her eye on Asutsuo's soul.
This series includes the following tropes
- Badass Longcoat: Asutsuo wears one.
- Bandage Babe: Knochenfresserin.
- Big Bad: Richart Igrain.
- Bittersweet Ending: Many of the stories end up this way, if not a Downer Ending. The main story doesn't, but only because Stolas gave Asutsuo his life.
- Break the Cutie: Many characters.
- Cast from Lifespan: Necromancy works this way.
- Deal with the Devil: Asutsuo's ancestor made a pact with Stolas to acquire the power to revive the dead.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: Asutsuo's dad.
- Dirty Cop: Ricott's partner, who kidnapped children from the slums for human tracking.
- Equivalent Exchange: Asutsuo's resurrections take three years (or less if there isn't enough) from the living and grants the resurrected person the same amount of life.
- Fatal Method Acting: One client has their daughter killed repeatedly on stage as part of a play, having Asutsuo resurrect her each time.
- Foreshadowing: Chapter 11 ended with the phrase "the perfect resurrection" with Ricott standing next to Asutsuo, Stolas also lamented how Asutsuo knew about the price of being a necromancer but still accepted everything. This made perfect sense when you know that Asutsuo's ultimate goal was to perform a full resurrection on Ricott/Shelverase at the cost of his own life.
- Forgotten Childhood Friend: Asutsuo to Ricott.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: Ricott aka Shilverase.
- Necromancer: Asutsuo and his family. This ability comes from a pact his ancestor made with Stolas.
- Necromantic: Many clients and Asutsuo.
- Psychotic Smirk: Asutsuo often has this expression.
- Sweet Tooth: Asutsuo likes white chocolate and Stolas likes chocolate parfaits.
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid: Atsuo