Clay Lord takes place in a world in which craftsman can bring stone creatures to life as Golems. Golems are used for many different purposes, for everything from military applications to construction. Amongst the many families of Golem Craftsman, the Earthgaia family stands above all else. Their previous patriarchs, the Twin Crowns, were said to be the greatest Golem Crafters in all of the land, until they vanished six years ago...Now the only remaining member of the Earthgaia family is the famous twins' little brother, Clay Earthgaia. While his golems seem weak at first, he definitely lives up to the notoriety that comes with being an Earthgaia: he's managed many prodigious feats of craftsmanship—creating a completely new type of golem from scratch amongst them. He's followed by his three servants, Kurogane, Shirogane, and Roze, three impossibly human golems left behind by his brothers. Life is not all fun and games for Clay, however, for as a member of the Earthgaia clan, his blood is worth more than gold to more unsavory Craftsmen and dealers...
This work contains examples of:
- Amnesiac Hero: Clay can't remember his childhood, and spent quite a while on the streets knowing nothing about his past and little about golem crafting.
- Berserk Button: Don't screw with Clay. His golems will destroy you.
- Blood Magic: Earthgaia family members are the only people who can make golems using their blood. Clay has to be very careful and dilute his blood, though, because it's too potent. Using it frivolously can create nigh indestructible rage monsters from golems.
- Child Prodigy: Once Clay's gotten some decent practice in, he manages to create some incredibly unique and powerful golems.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: Clay has a distinct scar on his forehead that resembles a burn.
- Undying Loyalty: Clay's golem servants are extremely loyal and loving to him.