is a seinen manga written by Koike Rintaro and illustrated by Taguchi Masayuki.
Japan has become the 51st state of the United States. Prostitution and gambling are banned in Tokyo, but an artificial island, Neon Island, has been created in Tokyo Bay for these activities. The place has become a bustling tourist resort, as well as a battleground for organized criminals from around the world. We follow two young Japanese gangsters, Kiyoshi Kira (brains) and Douji Kodama (brawn), as they run jobs for a powerful syndicate.
The series is thoroughly Not Safe for Work
due to excessive gore, some nudity, and general lack of good taste.
Black Joke provides examples of:
- Age-Inappropriate Dress: Akari is a 25-year-old woman dressed as a gothic lolita.
- Ax-Crazy: Many characters, but specially Runover.
- Bad Ass: Pretty much every important character is one.
- Butter Face: Kodama's mother has long flowing hair, shapely bosoms, long toned legs and a very distinctive face.
- Damn It Feels Good to Be a Gangster
- Dark Action Girl: Akari Kuroki.
- Elegant Gothic Lolita: Akari.
- Evil Smells Bad: A pretty weird example in the first chapter, with two homosexual assassins that use a perfume so overpowering it causes Kodama to flip out.
- Evil Versus Evil
- Eye Scream: Akari effortlessly gouges out a thug's eye with a dessert spoon.
- Fanservice: Lost of it.
- Fascinating Eyebrow: Part of Taguchi Masayuki's art style. Most characters display them including the the evil ones.
- Fingore: Don't try to fondle Akari if you like having fingers. Unless you're Kodama.
- Friend to All Children: Kodama, of all people.
- Gonk: Too many characters fit the bill.
- Gratuitous Italian
- Handicapped Badass: The Italian mobster Runover is a pretty over-the-top example. A paraplegic due to a bombing attack, he normally pursues people with a wheelchair doubling as an armed supercar. He's not helpless without it either... At one point he kills a would-be assassin while naked in the bath, with his teeth.
- Hidden Weapons: Akari has a variety of weapons hidden under the frills of her outfit.
- Manipulative Bastard: Kira, and his boss Todome as well.
- Man of Wealth and Taste: There's a lot of villainous and stylish characters, but Runover stands out the most.
- Pint-Sized Powerhouse: Kodama is a bit taller than 5 feet, but can dish out damage like a war machine.
- Psychopathic Manchild: basically Kodama's entire character.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Kodama is red, Kira is blue.
- Running Gag: Often Kodama is getting fired up for a good fight with someone, only to be cockblocked by someone else brutally killing them without warning.
- Sugar and Ice Personality: Akari is cold and silent most of the times, but around Kodama she's a coy and affectionate.
- Strong Family Resemblance: Kodama takes after his mother.
- Vice City: Neon Island.
- Would Hit a Girl: Most characters have absolutely no qualms about hitting or even killing females.