Ai no Shintairiku
is a quirky little romance manga by Yamada Nari, following Nikotama
Sara, a cutesy
male-to-female transsexual who, much to his mother's frustration, has decided to attend his new school as a girl. On the crowded train heading to his new school, he finds himself standing next to Naruse Kaito, a popular boy at his school for whom he instantly falls for. However, while shuffling up to him in the crowd, he winds up nearly outing himself. After dodging that bullet and getting to school, Sara finds that he's in the same class as Naruse, but after trying to get to know him, is announced to be a boy by the horrifying, gorilla-like teacher.
What follows is a fluffy and light-hearted, if fairly generic, Shoujo
series in which Sara works to get Kaito to love him for who he is, tries to bring confidence to girl who's worried about her masculine appearance, and fends off the jealous popular girls. Well, that, as well as ruining his poor, hideous teacher's life.Ai no Shintairiku
was published in 2004 and runs six chapters long. It is currently not licensed anywhere outside Japan.
This series provides examples of:
- Beach Episode: Chapter 4.
- Beautiful All Along: Youga.
- Bifauxnen: Youga, much to her dismay.
- Genki Girl: Sara. Oh god, Sara.
- Gonk: Sara's teacher.
- Larynx Dissonance: Sara. In one scene he yells at an annoying man, and it seems he goes back to her boy voice which then freaks him out.
- Love Bubbles: And flowers. And stars. And hearts. Yamada Nari really abused the effects.
- Transsexual: Sara, as well as a woman in chapter 4.
- Unsettling Gender-Reveal: Naruse accidently feels up on Sara's bulge in a packed train. There's also Sara's classmates when their teacher reveals Sara's biological sex.
- Wouldn't Hit a Girl: Sara doesn't want to get revenge on a female antagonist because he still has a guy-body and it "wouldn't be fair". He then says that he'll have to wait until he's a "real girl".