Bullet: What!? B-Butt Floss!?
Ragna: What? It's a descriptive term! Besides, we can see your entire ass! I mean, if you got it, flaunt it, but you can't deny the description.Hot pants, mini shorts, or daisy dukes? Whatever you call them, it can be a great way to Show Some Leg without having to worry about a Panty Shot. While it's mostly a female trope, we're seeing more and more males slipping in. This trope became popular in Real Life around the mid-1950s, and even though it has never been at the height of fashion, it's never really gone away either. For added sexiness, combine with Zettai Ryouiki, She's Got Legs. If you don't want to be too revealing, just add tights.
— Blazblue: Chronophantasma
open/close all folders
- Nair depilatory famously used the song (see Music below) as part of an ad campaign that ran from the late 1970s well into the 1980s.
- Masculine example Played for Laughs: the L&P ''Stubbies'' advert shown in New Zealand. Also pokes fun at the The '70s.
- Stubbies are a brand of men's shorts popular in Australia and New Zealand in the 1970s, and was a common part of schoolboys' uniforms.
Anime and Manga
- Both Shiro and Anri from Adekan occasionally do this. As in, daisy duke shorts on a dude. Anri usually wears long pants, but the legs of them appear to be detachable which make them kind of creepy chaps-shorts.
- Alois Trancy from the second season of the Black Butler anime frequently wears these, to the point that his "Booty Shorts" have pretty much reached memetic status.
- Revy from Black Lagoon. Permanently unbuttoned.
- Mizuho Asano from Bleach is commonly seen in hot pink short-shorts.
- Kanzaki Kaori of A Certain Magical Index is an unusual example: she wears a pair of jeans... with one leg cut off. Goes really well with her tied-up white T-shirt.
- It's supposed to be a disguised magic ritual.
- Kallen from Code Geass.
- Speaking of Valentine, Faye's trademark yellow outfit in Cowboy Bebop probably counts.
- Battle Lovers Scarlet and Vesta of Cute High Earth Defense Club LOVE!, who are guys. To indicate how short they are, Scarlet's ones narrowly miss mid-thigh and he's the shortest of the five Battle Lovers.
- Deadline Summonner has Mamoru Onodera's Werewolf who favours this, alongside a leather jacket, skimpy top, and a collar, with plenty of spikes to go around.
- Dragon Ball:
- Several outfits of Bulma have this. The first time is when, dealing with Oolong in Aru Village, Bulma is seen with a pair of brown short shorts. In the Red Ribbon arc, Bulma wore a red shirt that leaves her shoulders exposed and orange shorts. At the begin of "Dragon Ball Z" she wears white shorts.
- Launch wears yellow shorts in the first apparence.
- Videl wears tight spandex shorts.
- Lucy and Lisanna from Fairy Tail both like this type of clothing. It almost seems like they take turns in wearing them - Lisanna usually wears shorts when Lucy is wearing a skirt, and Lucy usually wears shorts in the arcs that Lisanna doesn't take part in.
- Envy of Fullmetal Alchemist. Hard to place as a male or female example.
- Part of Haruhi Suzumiya's Unlimited Wardrobe. She wears cuffed jean shorts when the story wants to remind you she's the Tomboy to Mikuru's Girly Girl.
- The twelve-year-old boy Gon from Hunter × Hunter wears a pair of bright green short shorts as part of his Limited Wardrobe—a fact not discussed in the show/manga but notorious in the fandom. Killua wears them a lot, too.
- Even shorter are Cheetu's◊ inexplicable short shorts.
- The one-legged jeans are also part of Kisara Nanjou's style of choice in Kenichi: The Mightiest Disciple.
- Lyrical Nanoha
- Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha StrikerS introduced this trope to the franchise with Subaru and her Barrier Jacket, which consists of a tank top, coat, cape, and jean shorts combo.
- Magical Record Lyrical Nanoha Force added two more short shorts-wearing females to the line up: Arnage Huckebein and Isis.
- Fuka's wears daisy dukes as part of her casual outfit in ViVid Strike!
- Heero Yuy from Mobile Suit Gundam Wing. Being designed after a female model, it doesn't do much for his already diminishing masculinity. He switches to white full-length pants for the OAV sequel, however.
- When Takeo of My Love Story!! needs money, he works part-time at a cafe called Machos, where the waiters are big, muscular men in tank tops and short pants.
- Misato Katsuragi from Neon Genesis Evangelion wears these when at home.
- Hajime of New Game! wears short pants nearly exclusively.
- By the series Standards, Hana-chan from Ojamajo Doremi wears these. With cute little hearts on each side.
- Ururu in Oku-sama wa Mahou Shoujo tends to wear short shorts, as opposed to dresses like her friends.
- One Piece:
- Pokémon: Misty's best known outfit includes very short jean-shorts. And in later generations, yellow shorts of the same length. Hell, if she's not wearing either outfit in any episode, chances are her regular outfit in said episode will incorporate this, too, as seen in "Luvdisc Is a Many Splendored Thing", in which she pairs a yellow top with darker blue shorts.
- Some of the Cures have worn this from time to time in the Pretty Cure franchise. For example:
- Both Nozomi and Rin, from Yes! Pretty Cure 5, have worn this for the Pretty Cure All Stars Suite Flower Card Collection, with Nozomi wearing jean shorts on two cards on which she's featured.
- Love Momozono's casualwear in Fresh Pretty Cure! incorporates a pink jacket and denim shorts.
- Worn by Nao Midorikawa in Smile Pretty Cure! with one of her casual outfits.
- One of Iona's outfits in Happiness Charge Pretty Cure incorporates this, as do the costumes that come with the Roller Blade and Ninja PreCards.
- Kirara Amanogawa wears this on her days off in Go! Princess Pretty Cure.
- Mirai Asahina in Maho Girls Precure wears a pair similar in design to Rosa's as part of her regular casual outfit, and Mofurun in The Movie sports pumpkin pants in her Cure form.
- Sakura Kyouko from Puella Magi Madoka Magica wears cut-off jean shorts as part of her civilian outfit.
- Akasha Bloodriver from Rosario + Vampire is shown to wear this under her gown when she removes the latter right before her sacrificial attempt to go Medieval on Alucard's ass. Of Corsets Sexy also comes into play.
- Sailor Moon
- Usagi Tsukino wears this with several of her outfits. Rei Hino has also worn this from time to time.
- Also the Amazoness Quartet's final disguise in Super S.
- The Starlights probably count as well.
- Ai Astin from Sunday Without God wears short shorts as part of her regular gravekeeper outfit.
- From Sword Art Online, Sinon's Gun Gale Online outfit could qualify as short shorts, although it was overlaid by green covers.
- Yoko from Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.
- Mew Zakuro from Tokyo Mew Mew.
- In Vividred Operation, not only are the girls commonly seen wearing bloomers, but short shorts are part of the school uniform.
- Anzu Mazaki/Tea Gardner occasionally wore short shorts as part of her outfits, when she wasn't wearing a mini skirt.
- Let's not forget Shizuka/Serenity during Season 3 and the second half of Season 2.
- Mai Kujaku/Valentine from the same show normally wears a purple skirt with a white corset, but wore purple short-shorts and a black corset when she was temporarily Brainwashed by Dartz during the events of Season 4.
- Ramona Flowers, love interest of Scott Pilgrim, frequently wears short shorts, often with brightly colored tights underneath.
- Ninjette from Empowered habitually wears a pair apparently held together at the sides by shuriken and with her nom de guerre printed across the seat.
- Robin's classic costume is a rare male example. His modern costumes give him longer pants.
- Supergirl: The '70s' Supergirl costume included red hot pants◊. It is one of her most well-remembered costumes.
- DC Comics' Dolphin
- Young Avengers has Miss America Chavez.
- During a period of time in Archie Comics' Sonic the Hedgehog where the main characters were forced to go to school, Bunnie Rabbot wore some of these.
- One difference between Zodiac Starforce and most Magical Girl series is that the girls wear shorts instead of skirts.
- This is part of Cure Western's outfit in Pretty Cure Hollywood Stars, resulting in at least one comparison to Misty from Pokémon (see above). The rolled-up jean shorts carry over to her Super Cure form, and Super Cure Western even pairs them with Grade B Zettai Ryouiki and, in the last episode, gold tights!
- Haruhi Suzumiya Flanderizes this in the Pretty Cure-style reboot, SOS Pretty Cure, and it even features in her Cure outfit, along with Grade A Zettai Ryouiki!
- Who wears Shadow's short shorts? CRYPT! And subsequently gets his ass kicked by her.
- Alice in the first Resident Evil film, though the shorts are partly concealed by the red dress she's wearing.
- Trillian the first time we see her in the main story, in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
- Kristofferson in Fantastic Mr. Fox wears short-shorts. Though it is most certainly not for sex appeal. At least we assume.
- Worn by Candice during her fatal gymnastics practice session in Final Destination 5. Justified as most other gymnasts were wearing this as well during the same scene, including the gymnast that got Candice killed accidentally by sheer carelessness.
- The title character of Tamara Drewe. As a disapproving older woman notes, "She poured herself into those shorts. She'll give herself thrush." No one remembers the movie; everyone remembers the trailer that primarly featured this sequence.
- Felicity Shagwell in Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me. They're skin-tight.
- Half of the scenes featuring Steve Christy in the original Friday the 13th (1980) has him wearing shorts shorts, an ascot and not much else.
- In The Master, many of the navy men in the beginning of the movie. They were very much out of uniform.
- Pepper Potts in The Avengers (2012), as well as being barefoot. Since she usually wears business suits and high heels, this shows how relaxed she's become around Tony since their relationship started.
- The Great Outdoors features a female character wearing these in a bar, where she gets goosed with a pool cue wielded by one of the main male characters and, of course, romance ensues. Making the scene more remarkable is the woman is played by Lucy Deakins, best known for chase tween roles in films like The Boy Who Could Fly, leading to more than a few Hello, Nurse! moments for fans.
- Part of Nikki's wardrobe in The Bling Ring. Most infamously worn during the pole dancing sequence.
- The Fabricants in Cloud Atlas, specifically for fanservice since they're waitresses.
- When he's not on duty, Agent Kruger does in Elysium. According to some of the BTS material, the idea of him wearing these came from his actor Sharlto Copley.
- Melissa George in Triangle wears shorts.
- Subverted rather hilariously in The Heat, when Mullins tries to cut Ashburn's clothes into something more bar-appropriate.
- Several women in The Broadway Melody are shown wearing this backstage, making this Older Than They Think.
Live Action TV
- The Dukes of Hazzard has Daisy Duke, to the point where "Daisy Dukes" is a well-known nickname for really short cut-off jean shorts. It's worth noting that due to TV censorship rules, she had to wear flesh-color tights underneath. When The Movie was released in 2005 (with Jessica Simpson), the tights weren't necessary any more, and viewers actually got to see her legs.
- Doctor Who - Amy sports a pair in "The Hungry Earth", but the group was supposed to be in Rio (she wears them with tights because they actually filmed the episode in winter).
- Charmed: Part of Billie's Amazon outfit.
- Each of the girls in H2O: Just Add Water. Justified due to the setting being the Gold Coast which is in the tropical north of Australia's eastern seaboard.
- Jonathan M. Shiff also used this in a later series, Alien Surf Girls.
- Blue Water High is another Australian offender.
- Are You Being Served?: During German week the staff is decked out in Lederhosen. There are two pairs of extra-short shorts, worn by Miss Brahms and Mr Humphries.
- Victorious for pretty much all of the girls. Justified due to the setting being California.
- A number of Sentai heroines, including Yoko Usami (Yellow Buster) of Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters, Amy Yuzuki (Kyoryu Pink) of Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger and Moune (Gosei Yellow) of Tensou Sentai Goseiger.
- Ally of Austin & Ally. Justified due to the setting being Miami.
- Officer Jim Dangle, of Reno 911!.
- Graeme in The Goodies episode "Scoutrageous". So tight that he can't bend over in them. Almost certainly intended as Fan Disservice.
- Zoe Hart of Hart Of Dixie, who is a town doctor. Frequently lampshaded.
- On an episode of The Partridge Family, they got new outfits with the girls wearing short-shorts. Tracy later asks, "Why are these called hot pants? I'm freezing."
- 19 year old Danger O'Riley in a first-season episode of Bewitched.
- Vala◊ rocks a pair along with a midriff top while off base in the Stargate SG-1 episode Bounty.
- The Trope Namer would be the 1957 song "Short Shorts" by the Royal Teens. You may know it via Popcultural Osmosis as "that song from the Nair commercials".
- James Brown's "Hot Pants".
- Rin Kagamine from Vocaloid.
- Katy Perry's song "California Gurls":
California girls, we're unforgettableDaisy Dukes, bikinis on top
- 3OH!3 brings up the trope again in "Starstrukk":
Nice legs, Daisy DukesMakes a man go [whistle]!
- Extremely prevalent among K-pop girl groups, especially Girls' Generation.
- Japanese guitarist Teru is a rare male example of this (usually combined with Bare Your Midriff).
- 69 Boyz & Duice's "Dazzey Duks".
- Pixie Lott. Every second outfit she wears involves a pair of these.
- Miley Cyrus, as evidenced in many candids.
- Most vanaras (monkey-like creatures) in Hindu Mythology wear this.
- In Bally's Eight Ball, "Pinky" wears a pair of scandalously (for the time) short white shorts.
- Melony and Ellen in WhizBang Pinball's Whoa Nellie! Big Juicy Melons are Farmers Daughters who combine this with Bare Your Midriff.
- Worn by all of the service staff in Truck Stop.
- Felicity Shagwell in Austin Powers proudly flaunts her leather short shorts.
- Stacy Keibler. "She's got legs, and she knows how to use em"
- When they were in the original ECW as part of Raven's Flock, Stevie Richards and The Blue Meanie regularly wore cut-off jean shorts.
- LayCool often, though they did have ring gear that consisted of pants or long tights too.
- The majority of the WWE Divas 2004 onward wear short-shorts and halter tops in the ring.
- Standard in women's volleyball and handball.
- In a rare male example, basketball legend John Stockton was famous for these◊. Amusingly, apparently they were short because Stockton was never asked to lengthen them until late in his career.
- Stockton was just the last to change; before the early 90s, EVERYONE in the NBA wore very short, and very tight, shorts. And what a blessed time it was.
- Hilda, the female protagonist in Pokémon Black and White, has quite short shorts.
- Also Bugsy, the Gym Leader of Azalea town, wears them, which only adds to his already very girly looks.
- As does Whitney, Clair, Elesa (in the sequels), Skyla and Diantha.
- The respective best endings in Metroid: Fusion and Zero Mission feature Samus Aran in blue and orange short shorts and tanktop.
- Matsu from Sengoku Basara wears very short shorts (which are slitted up the sides to boot).
- Laharl from Disgaea: Hour of Darkness, he is 1313 but looks like he is 13.
- Yuffie of Final Fantasy VII and its expansions changes outfits most frequently out of the cast, but always includes short shorts and stockings.
- Yuna, everyone's favorite Badass Adorable summoner in Final Fantasy X, comes back to Final Fantasy X-2 as an Action Girl, leaving her classic white top and long blue skirt for a hotter Fanservice Absolute Cleavage shirt and tiny jean shorts underneath her half-skirt thing.
- Rikku wears one of this in green color in both games.
- Lightning Farron from Final Fantasy XIII counts, with tight biker shorts that double as Modesty Shorts.
- Alyssa Zaidelle from Final Fantasy XIII-2.
- The only free DLC costume for Serah (Style and Steel) featured a pair in favour of her usual mini-skirt.
- Other Final Fantasy games with this trope are Final Fantasy III, Final Fantasy Tactics and Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. The latter combines it with Zettai Ryouiki.
- Ken Amada from Persona3. He even wears them in the winter!
- Scharlachrot from Arcana Heart 3.
- Lara Croft of Tomb Raider wears these in her most iconic outfit.
- Desdemona in City of Heroes.
- The Soviet commando, Natasha, from Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3. In the Russian winter.
- In Katawa Shoujo, Lilly's pyjamas involve a relatively modest top and a pair of very short shorts. Hisao sure appreciates the view.
- Akari Ichijou of The Last Blade wears a variation of a Miko outfit that includes these.
- SAXTON HALE of (the backstory comics of) Team Fortress 2 is so manly that he rarely wears much more clothing at all!
- In-game, the Heavy can wear short shorts. (And this was after the devteam specifically asked to not make short shorts for the Heavy.)
- Bullet from Blaz Blue Chrono Phantasma wears uncomfortably tight-looking hottopantsu that resemble a belt more than anything else, which makes the actual belt look redundant. In addition to Ragna calling it "butt floss" due to how gratuitous it is, this is also what inspired Taokaka to call her "Butt Lady".
- In a Chronophantasma Extend gag reel, Bullet's pelvic region is covered by the game's logo after the aforementioned hotpants are confiscated. Even Luna gets the point how revealing Bullet's attire is.
Luna: "Ragna doesn't call you 'butt floss' for nothin'."
- While she wears a Dangerously Short Skirt under normal circumstances, Makoto has a pair of spandex shorts after Amane Astrals her.
- In a Chronophantasma Extend gag reel, Bullet's pelvic region is covered by the game's logo after the aforementioned hotpants are confiscated. Even Luna gets the point how revealing Bullet's attire is.
- Minogame from Hellsinker wears a kind of very short brown jeans shorts. One interesting thing to note is that while Minogame is a Hermaphrodite he is always referred to as male.
- Sharla from Xenoblade starts with the latest combat Daisy Dukes as her default equipment.
- Mega Man ZX has Aile and Grey(The latter being one of the few male examples of this trope.).
- For Fire Emblem Awakening, all of the series' previous protagonists got redesigns for their DLC appearances. Gaiden's female protagonist, Celica, received an outfit with a pair of shorts so short that even with the in-game picture cutting off just barely past the waist, it still shows bare thighs. (Full version here◊.) Not entirely surprising given that the artist commissioned for her redesign normally does erotic doujinshi.
- Ms. Fortune of Skullgirls when it comes to playable characters. Patty from The Last Hope when it comes to non-playable characters in Skullgirls.
- Fallout 3 has a Raider outfit of this type added with The Pitt.
- The Great Khan outfits in Fallout: New Vegas all feature this when worn by a female character.
- Both 3 and New Vegas feature the Raider Badlands Armor, which appear to also be homaging Tomb Raider's outfit.
- Resident Evil: Revelations: In an early scene set in the mountains, Jessica Sherawat is wearing fur hat, fur jacket, fur boots and short shorts over purple tights. She complains about the cold, and her partner Chris tells her "You should have worn your thermal underwear."
- Poison from Final Fight (and later Street Fighter) wears an absolutely tiny pair of these. Notably she's a hermaphrodite/pre-op transexual (in most translations) which does raise the question of trouser space...
- Mighty No. 9: Beck appears to, given that he's technically entirely composed of Xels.
- Homestuck: In a rare male example, Jake seems to be associated with short shorts above and beyond any of the other characters - both of his alchemised outfits in Act 6 Act 4 feature them, and even earlier on when he was wearing much longer shorts he one point tried to wear Lara Croft-style gun holsters and thought to himself that he'd probably need to be wearing shorter shorts to pull them off. Not only that, but Jake's class is the Page, whose god tier outfit features memetically speedo-length shorts. At any rate, the fandom sure appreciates it all. Mostly.
- In El Goonish Shive, Grace wears these under her pants during her birthday party. The pants were sized to fit her male form and when she changed back to female the pants slipped off giving her the appearance of wearing no pants at all given the length of her shirt.
- In How To Raise Your Teenage Dragon, Acinonyx wears them as well as many other female characters.
- Homestar Runner's "creepy pants" are a pair of hot pink/purple shorts of the 'Daisy Duke' variety (an American form of shorts made by cutting the legs of snug jeans, sometimes so much so that the white pocket liners can be seen). It is later revealed that he was out of his mind on Strong Sad's anti-depressants at the time.
- Part of Taylor-Ruth of Hanging Rock Comics fame's iconic outfit.
- In the Whateley Universe, one of the many problems with the new costume of THE CRIMSON COMET!!!. Granted, she just got the superpowers and the curves a couple weeks ago and she hasn't gotten over it yet.
- Drawn versions of Hiroyuki Nishimura, the founder of 2channel and the owner of 4chan, often wear pink short shorts.
- On Family Guy, Peter once went through a Daisy Duke phase.
Brian: It's like a walrus flossing!
- On Total Drama,Heather, Katie, and Sadie all wear very short shorts. Later, Jasmine and Stephanie was designed with shorts.
- On Lalaloopsy, Pickles B.L.T. has her very short shorts on the first time when she's athletic, but she also wears a belly shirt alot to reveal her belly button.
- Sym-Bionic Titan's Ilana wears these on occasion as part of her Unlimited Wardrobe.
- Lola Bunny wears a pair of short gym shorts as part of her original Iconic Outfit.
- On Mission Hill, Jim returns from Japan with the latest thing there, brightly colored short shorts with Hello Kitty style decorations. Andy thinks they're ridiculous, but is soon the butt of scorn from the hip crowd because he isn't wearing them. When he finally comes around, he finds they're no longer hip, as they've gone mainstream and worn by the middle-aged.
- The Simpsons did it. Someone wondered where the police were, and were informed by the Mayor they were investigating a boat crash carrying hotpants. Cut to the entire force, including Chief Wiggum asking 'Who wears short shorts?'
Chief Wiggum: Look at all them hot pants.
- And of course the finale to "El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer" mentioned in the music section.
- Dolly Gnome◊ from Gnomeo and Juliet.
- Raf from Angel's Friends.
- In Winx Club Stella's first fairy form has orange shorts.
- In a sense, Bloom and Flora wear shorts under their skirts, thereby avoiding Panty Shots.
- In Regular Show, use of Death Kwon Do requires cutoff jeans and a mullet. (In fact, anyone can use Death Kwon Do immediately just by wearing them.)
- In Star vs. the Forces of Evil, Star's swimsuit is this in the episode Royal Pain.
- In My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic, Princess Ember's armor seems to include this (aside from when she's green), though it can be hard to notice due to the anatomy of dragons as well as the fact that that part of her armor extends several times longer to her tail. It is easiest to notice when she is sitting up after Spike saves her from drowning.