"Urusai! Urusai! Urusai!!!"noteThe Shana Clone is a character archetype originating in Japanese Light Novels, Manga and their Anime adaptations, begun by the popularity of the character Shana from the Light Novel series Shakugan no Shana. The Shana Character Archetype includes the following:
- The character is a teenage girl, though sometimes younger, with an often childlike body-type, meaning she is flat-chested and usually older than she looks (typically by being quite short in stature), often resulting in Mistaken Age, a Napoleon Complex and A-Cup Angst.
- The character has long, at least waist-length Rapunzel Hair, usually unkempt or tied into Girlish Pigtails. The actual color is less important, but blonde, pink or red are the most common.
- The character wears dresses, usually Joshikousei, or long Elegant Gothic Lolita style dresses (the latter probably inspired by Victorique), and Zettai Ryouiki at Grade A, often qualifying for Grade Snote , though if her dress is a long one, it may be difficult to identify the grade and may simply appear to be full tights.
- The character is a heavily Type A Tsundere, infamous for her use of the violent approach. She physically assaults her Love Interest on a regular basis, sometimes with little to no provocation. To some extent this attitude may stem from a Hair-Trigger Temper and awkward social skills with boys, but hers is also often a result of an inherently dominant, bossy personality, almost to the point of evoking the attitude of a Dominatrix.
- The character is the female lead of the work, and the main Love Interest of the male lead, their relationship heavy on the Belligerent Sexual Tension and Cannot Spit It Out. Often there is a Supporting Harem of other girls as rivals.
- The character is voiced by Rie Kugimiya, who after voicing Shana in the anime adaptation of Shakugan no Shana went on to voice a series of similar characters, further emphasizing the similarities (five of the seven characters in the page image are voiced by her). Ayana Taketatsu is also a popular choice though.
- The character addresses the Love Interest in some extremely demeaning manner, such as treating him as her property, as being lower than human, or lower in status, even using belittling names like "dog", "slave", or "toy" instead. Shana used to refer Yuuji as a Torch and telling him he was almost nothing, Louise calling Saito a Dog, Taiga calling Ryuuji a Dog, Aria calling Kinji a Slave and many more examples.
- The character may be a Big Eater, especially of a certain kind of food, often sweet breads (Shana's was melon bread).
- The character comes from a wealthy family, justifying her high-and-mighty attitude towards the Love Interest, who is often a 'commoner'. This probably started with Louise.
- The character may carry some type of weapon, commonly a katana or whip, which she uses to beat the male Love Interest with when he defies her. (Louise actually has a riding crop, which she sometimes uses to whip her familiar/Love Interest, Saito.)
- The quote provided on the top of the page ("Urusai! Urusai! Urusai!"/"Shut up! Shut up! Shut up!") will often be uttered by these characters.
- The character has some sort of supernatural ability/is inhuman. Shana is a Flame Haze, Louise is a mage, and Lotte is a succubus, for example.
- The character wears childish and/or Goofy Print Underwear.
open/close all folders
- The Trope Maker and Trope Namer Shana is the Fiery Redhead Action Girl who created this archetype and made it famous in Shakugan no Shana. The rousing success of her character has since inspired many writers to imitate or outright copy her personality, as seen in the following examples. Kugimiya Point: 1
- Interestingly, Shana, whose Tsundere nature is justified, softens over time through Character Development, to the point that she is no longer a Tsundere by the end of the series. She is quite open about her feelings towards her Love Interest Yuji, and not all abrasive or disrespectful to him. Even from the start, she rapidly shed many of the attributes enumerated above, some of which were not very strong in the first place. By the end of the first story arc she no longer views or treats Yuji demeaningly (abrasively is a different matter, but even that subsides), and she was very rarely physically abusive, only once striking him in the first season of the anime (outside of her rigorous combat training). She does inflict physical injury in Season 3, because Yuji spends the bulk of the season as Shana's Well-Intentioned Extremist enemy who is not hesitant to strike back. They both still love each other, and both are convinced that they are doing the right thing for the other.
Anime & Manga
- Mine from Akame ga Kill! fills out just about every credential, including being the love interest to the (alleged) lead character.
- Downplayed in Astarotte no Omocha. Astarotte mostly fits that archtype but rarely uses physical violence on Naoya or insult him. Kugimiya Point: 2
- A Certain Magical Index has two:
- Index Librarium Prohibitum is mildly Tsundere for Touma, has a huge appetite, has long sky-blue hair, is pretty petite, and has a habit of biting his head whenever she gets angry. As far as examples of this trope go, Index is pretty tame.
- More as an allynote than a potential love interest for Touma (which makes her part of a very small minority in the series), is Agnese Sanctis, a petite Battle Nun who has some Tsundere interactions with Touma. Kugimiya Point: 3
- In The Comic Artist and His Assistants, Kuroi Sena has all but the Zettai Ryouiki and the status as the hero's primary love interest. Small for her age, blonde hair to the ankles, hair-trigger temper with extreme violencenote , short skirts. Kugimiya point: 4
- Mina Tepes of Dance in the Vampire Bund has all the traits, except she's more of a Type B Tsundere.
- Nagi Sanzen'in of Hayate the Combat Butler shows all the signs except she's slightly friendlier to her Love Interest, making him into her toy with crossdressing cosplay and having him be her Knight in Shining Armor. Kugimiya Point: 5
- Ririchiyo Shirakiin of Inu × Boku SS is a different take on the archetype. She's a rich, childlike fifteen-year-old Type A Tsundere with black Rapunzel Hair and Zettai Ryouiki. Unusually, she dislikes her common approach to people and is trying her best to improve her social interactions. Also, her Love Interest, who specifically asks her to call him a dog and treat him like one, is such an Extreme Doormat she actually finds it very difficult to do so.
- In Isuca, main character Sakuya Shimazu fits the bill perfectly. Ironically, while she treats the hero like dirt, he early on obtains the power to make her do whatever he wants.
- Despite debuting before the rise of Shana, Alisa Bannings of Lyrical Nanoha fits the archetype: a rich, long-haired Tsundere, especially in Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha INNOCENT, where she gets a mini-skirted Magical Girl form equipped with a flaming whip Device called Flame Eyes. Kugimiya point: 6
- Klan Klan of Macross Frontier fits the bill when in her Micronian form, though her Love Interest is The Lancer rather than The Hero. When macronized, by contrast, she's over thirty feet tall, very stacked and somewhat more cool-headed (though she does smack Michel around once when he's in his mecha).
- Mahou Sensei Negima! has two:
- Evangeline Athanasia Katherine McDowell: a long-haired 500-year-old Elegant Gothic Lolita stuck in a ten-year-old body, often wearing Zettai Ryouiki, and is a very strong type A Tsundere. She compliments Negi twice in 300 chapters, and usually tortures him via Training from Hell. Any hint of her dere side is quickly called out by Chachamaru and followed by a fast "I do not!".
- Anna Yurievna Cocolova: an eleven-year-old twin-tailed Tsundere and literal Fiery Redhead. While she and Negi talk to each other on a First-Name Basis, she is still very violent when it comes to things concerning him — her first reappearance (Chapter 170) has her deliver an "Anya Flame Kick" to Negi for not coming home soon.
- Maken-ki!: Himegami is tsundere, pettanko, usually styles her hair into a long pair of pigtails, and typically dresses in gothic lolita fashion. It's later revealed that she's the daughter of Yamato no Orochi; making her royalty and a demi-goddess. So she naturally possesses abnormally high-level Element and wields Yasakani, which has the power of the 8 original Maken combined. Meaning, she's also an action fashionista and a Lady of Black Magic. However, she subverts the trope since she isn't much shorter than the rest of the cast and she's Usui's love interest, rather than Takeru's.
- Downplayed with Alice of Pandora Hearts. She's a Type A Tsundere with Rapunzel Hair who refers to Oz as her manservant and property. However, having to survive on her own within the Abyss as well as her lack of memories and knowledge about the outside world seem to have contributed to her brash personality, and as she becomes more confident in herself and others, her Type A tendencies start to relax. She is also rarely physically violent toward Oz and is more often than not quite affectionate to him, which he perceives as her being honest with her emotions. It's worth noting that Oz is one of the few people she refers to by name and that her claims that he is her property aren't entirely unfounded and may be the result of resurfacing memories in her subconscious mind.
- Karin Minato of Shippai Kinshi! Kanojo no Himitsu wa Morasanai! would be this, but since anger triggers a Potty Emergency for her, she doesn't get many opportunities to hit Syou Shimizu (who only has eyes for his younger sister Hijiri anyway). Interestingly, while she has no problems confessing her love to Syou when she falls for him (unlike most examples), she's equally capable of reverting to status quo soon after.
- Rima Mashiro of Shugo Chara!.
- Hazuki from Tsukuyomi: Moon Phase: she's approximately twelve to fourteen (age not given in the manga) with major A-Cup Angst developing over time, frequently dresses in the Lolita fashion style, has long hair, and is a major Tsundere toward hero Kouhei. On top of that, she insists for a long time that Kouhei is just her slave, she can get very intense about food (going so far as to sit still for hours just to catch the crows that stole her snack), and she's the princess of the vampire race.
- Mio Aoyama of The World God Only Knows is a deliberate homage to this trope, and is most likely based on Nagi.
- Shinju Miwa from Shining Pretty Cure. She's actually more snarky and less violent than most examples.
- Sera Himekawa from Pretty Cure Strange Happenings is an interesting variation. She's 5'6" (quite impressive for this archetype) and is a rare Bifauxnen example of this trope, going so far as to wear her school's male uniform. She's also quite busty as Cure Kyuketsu and ONLY as Cure Kyuketsu. As a civilian, she's a washboard like the other examples. Her personality is basically a cross between Shana and Shinju. She also fits several aspects of this, including being a Tsundere toward the drama club's boys (and even using a wooden katana to keep them in line!) and her Cool Car, eating quite a bit of melon bread, and coming from an upper-middle-class family of actors. Oh, and she lets out the Shana clone's typical catchphrase on more than one occasion. In short, Sera could very well be the first Bifauxnen Tsundere Wonder.
- Aria H. Kanzaki of Aria the Scarlet Ammo is essentially Shana with a pair of katanas as well as a pair of guns, coupled with some of Louise' personality traits. She is also sometimes called the "Fifth Tsundere Wonder", after Shana, Louise, Nagi and Taiga. Kugimiya Point: 7
- Dalian of Bibliotheca Mystica de Dantalian, although she's probably heavily based off Gosick's Victorique instead of Shana, considering the heavy similarities in the series. She's reserved yet bossy towards Huey, occasionally kicking him, or having him wait on her as if she were the Lady and not he the Lord. She has an outfit almost identical to Victorique's, dark unkempt Rapunzel Hair in her human form and light haired Girlish Pigtails in her Archive form (which unfortunately doesn't seem to have a tsun side). She is also very short, flat-chested and wears tights, though her dress is too long to tell the grade. She also loves sweet breads, which is a major plot point in some episodes.
- Felli Loss from Chrome Shelled Regios is a rare mix of this with Rei Ayanami Expy. While her powers make her The Stoic, she's a harsh Type A Tsundere with a petite body and Rapunzel Hair who calls the main character names and kicks him every time she gets angry.
- Fear Kubrick of Cube×Cursed×Curious: Tsundere? Check. Has a Nice Guy Love Interest? Check. Has Rapunzel Hair? Check. Flat-chested? Check. Suffers from A-Cup Angst? She attacks a more well-endowed girl and proclaims her an "enemy of the flat-chested". And that's only the first episode. Still, she's a relatively endearing version. Most of the time.
- Kotori Itsuka of Date A Live, the foster younger sister of the main character Shido. She fits the archetype quite well, with her sadistic tendencies, Chupa Chups lollipops, Rapunzel Hair, grade S Zettai Ryouiki, and being a literal Fiery Redhead. Shido however doesn't see her as more than a younger sister.
- Louise de la Valliere of The Familiar of Zero is a short girl with long pink hair as well as a noblewoman and a mage, whose Love Interest, Saito, was summoned from Earth to serve as her familiar. She brutally beats him with a riding crop or a whip and refers to him as "slave" and "commoner", wears Grade A Zettai Ryouiki, and is in competition with several other girls for Saito's heart though she ultimately wins. This is leveled out by showing occasional moments of kindness. Kugimiya Point: 8
- Victorique de Blois of Gosick has the long blond hair, tights, body-type and is partial to sweets. She's a more reserved Tsundere and is not violent in general, but is nevertheless incredibly bossy and has been known to kick her Love Interest or smack him if he defies her. She's more directly based off Shinku from Rozen Maiden, though.
- In If Her Flag Breaks, Nanami fulfills this role. Short, young-looking with a complex about her size? Check. Long, blonde hair? Check. Dress/skirt in Joshi Kousei style with Grade-A Zettai Ryouiki? Check. Tsundere? Not as constantly violent as some, but still qualifies. Female lead? Check. Also born into royalty.
- Mio Isurugi, from the late, lamented MM!, who is only different from most other examples in that she is tied in a Balanced Harem with her main rival, token Nice Girl Yuno (herself a minor Type-B Tsundere), not a clear lead character.
- Touka Tennouji of Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu sports a small, flat-chested body, wears Grade-S Zettai Ryouiki, ties her white hair onto Girlish Pigtails, and is such a Bad Boss most butlers leave her less than a day into her service alone. Like Shana, however, she also deconstructs the trope: as Yuuto, the only one who actually survived in her servicenote , discovered, her tough personality is but a result of having to live with a family wracked with infighting over inheritances from her late grandfather. And to drive the point home: Kugimiya Point: 9
- Taiga Aisaka of Toradora! is a deconstruction of the archetype: part of the roots of her short temper, besides issues with her small body, flat chest and childlike appearance, stems from lack of social skills and having to deal with a broken family. Also, her body issues due to her looks are portrayed in a more realistic way (i.e. she uses her temper as a cover for deep-seated insecurities over her lack of height and curves), and she must learn to tone down her aggression to win over her Love Interest, Ryuuji, as well as dealing with her psychological problems, which includes making up with her mother's new family before continuing their relationship. Kugimiya Point: 10
- Charlotte Belew from Unbreakable Machine Doll counts, despite being of average build and only a mild case of A-Cup Angst. She insults Raishin at just about every opportunity she gets. When he's about to win an argument with her, her responses range from shouting "Shut up!"/"That's not it!"/"Idiot!" to unleashing her Automaton on him. She even outright refuses his help at one point (despite having received his help before when she needed it), to the extent of threatening to kill him if he insisted on helping her. Oh, and she's formerly of the nobility as well.
- Iori Minase from The Idolmaster franchise, except she's an unusual Type A/B hybrid: Type B to total strangers, Type A to fellow idols, staff members and her handler. Kugimiya Point: 11
- Mirai from the Nintendo 3DS title Senran Kagura. In the original title, she is a Type A Tsundere antagonist/rival towards the Hanzo Academy and during her rant in 3-05 to Yagyu shouts the iconic "Urusai! Urusai! Urusai!!!". She is playable in later titles such as Senran Kagura Burst and PS Vita's Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus.
- Airi Ban of Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2. A bit less childlike than most, as she's only flat in comparison with the rest of the female cast and is merely mad about still being mistaken for a junior high student when she's only in her first year of high school, but she has the temperament, the Grade A Zettai Ryouiki, and the long red hair to match the original.
- Emiri Yuuki in the H-Game Kimihagu. Bossy, strict, violent when provoked, a Tsundere, Blood Type is B, suffers from A-Cup Angst, had Cute Little Fangs, is the spoiled daughter of the high school's principal with blonde Ojou Ringlets...and she's only 155 cm tall.
- Reo from Sono Hanabira ni Kuchizuke wo. Bossy, Older Than She Looks, rich high-school girl with Zettai Ryouiki, extremely long, thick, blonde hair and A-Cup Angst.