It's basically just a big frakking shark. Carcharodon megalodon
(or possibly Carcharocles megalodon
- see the other wiki
for details) lived from 25 to 1.5 million years ago, grew up to 20 metres at its most favourable estimates, was an opportunistic predator, and is believed by some to have died out because it couldn't compete with the killer whale, who could handle the cold waters better. However in low grade schlock movies it will be uncovered after being frozen in ice and go on a superhunting rampage, tracking down our intrepid heroes all over the world before eating Boeing 747's in a single bite while flying
The appeal is simple. Being prehistoric it is a bit like a dinosaur, and Jurassic Park
was cool. It's a shark, and Jaws
is not only cool but the Trope Codifier
for creature attack movies. It was the biggest of its kind, just like Steven Spielberg
's Oscar cabinet. Evidently, this generation is the one who became film directors because of Steven Spielberg.
of both Threatening Shark
and Sea Monster
. Compare Kraken and Leviathan
; Giant Squid
Probably deserves honorary mention among Stock Dinosaurs
, though nobody would mistake it for one.
Note that "megalodon" is the animal's specific epithet, not the generic name, so it should not be capitalized.
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- In the Doraemon film "Nobita and the Great Mermaid Battle", the royal merpeople keep a living megalodon which they feed criminals to.
- Megalodons are briefly seen living in the waters near Themyscria during Gail Simone's run on Wonder Woman. Steve Trevor reacts appropriately when one lunges at him.
- Justified, as Themyscria is home to many extinct, or supposedly mythical, creatures.
- In The Swarm of War, the new Overmind make a swimming Zerg unit which is one of these. Itís even called the Carcharlisk.
- Mega Shark Vs Giant Octopus
- Shark Attack 3: Megalodon.
- Megalodon: A 2002 shark film about oil drillers near Greenland who uncover a huge deposit of surviving prehistoric animals (including the megalodon) which goes on a killing spree and even crashes an airborne helicopter from deep below the surface which singlehandedly ruins everyone's day. At the end of it all one of the characters makes a Heroic Sacrifice and the survivors get away...until ANOTHER one pops out.
- In Shark Hunter, the main character is orphaned as a kid by a megalodon. As an adult, he joins a team going into a trench to figure out the fate of an underwater research station. Of course, it was destroyed by a megalodon, which ends up assaulting the sub and causing general death and destruction.
- Megalodon by Robin Brown came out in 1981, before the prehistoric megashark became a household name (resulting in the novel being republished under the uninspiring name of Shark) and is still one of the better efforts. The idea of megalodon being a shallow water predator is lampshaded, with the book detailing how they've evolved to survive in a deep-sea trench — basically they've become bottom-feeders scavenging off waste floating down from above, with eyes so adapted to the darkness that the megalodon can't go anywhere near the surface without intense pain. Unfortunately the US Navy is sending down submarines to survey the trench with intent to mine its rich load of gold and uranium, at the same time that the megalodon family gives birth to a more hungry and aggressive offspring.
- Steve Alten writes a lot of books with these; his novel Meg was about a megalodon that makes it to the surface after surviving down in the Mariana Trench. Hilarity Ensues.
- Extinct by Charles Wilson (one which was almost made into a TV miniseries)
- The Shark Wars series by EJ Altbacker stars a megalodon named Gray.
Live Action TV
- Mastodon's second album, Leviathan, particularly the song "Megalodon".
- "Megladon (sic) Jaw" by underground Seattle rapper P-Wrecks.
- In Chaosium's Stormbringer supplement Demon Magic, the adventure "Sorcerer's Isle" had a megalodon that could sink ships by biting through their hulls and a giant whale-like demon named Lvthn.
- Megalodons appear in White Wolf's Scion as part of the monstrous fauna the Drowned Road, Titan of Water, controls.
- Hollow Earth Expedition. One of the most dangerous predators in the seas of the Hollow Earth is the megalodon, a shark that's more than 100 feet long and weighs more than 50 tons. They feed on whales and plesiosaurs, but avoid attacking the kraken.
- In 1st Edition Dungeons & Dragons megalodons are up to 50 feet long and can swallow smaller creatures whole. As was often the case in D&D, swallowed creatures could cut their way out.
- The patron deity of the sahuagin race manifests as a megalodon.
- In Shadowrun, a type of giant regenerating Awakened shark is commonly called "megalodon" for its resemblance to the extinct species, although its scientific name differs.
- Scribblenauts has a megalodon as one of its summonable creatures.
- The Ocean Hunter uses Megalodon as its version of Leviathan, the boss of the second stage.
- Champions Online features a giant mutated shark named Megalodon. It was planed to be a boss, but has not been implemented as one so far.
- Battlefield 4 : In the Naval Strike DLC map, Nansha Strike, if you position at least ten players around the floating buoy in Conquest Large and wait a few second, a Medalogon will jump out of the water and return to the depths, killing everything in its way.