So this Girly Bruiser
can look extra girly, while doing extra bruising.
A pair of huge pigtails on a girl, that are much larger than possible in Real Life
, at least not without loads of hair gel. The minimum hair size of both tails combined must be at least the size of the girl's head.
There can be many reasons for this, although the most common are either to make the pigtails clear even in long shots, or because of Rule of Cute
Quite often these pigtails have the hair in a spiral, which overlaps with Regal Ringlets
. However, girls with Mega Twintails are not necessarily of high station. It is more of a compromise halfway between the "girlishness" of Regal Ringlets
" of Girlish Pigtails
, both in looks and in personality.
Note that this trope is about the volume and complexity of the pigtails more than the length. While the two can overlap, merely having improbably long hair in pigtails, like Sailor Moon
, Hatsune Miku
, or Hibiki
falls under Rapunzel Hair
of Anime Hair
, and Bigger Is Better
Compare Girlish Pigtails
, '80s Hair
, Giant Poofy Sleeves
, Ojou Ringlets
open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- In Vividred Operation, Vivid Yellow has Mega Twintails larger than her entire body. They actually look like a cape from some angles.
- Miki, and her android double in Sailor Victory have large swirling tails, the latter even able to turn them into high powered fans.
- Leenalee Lee of D.Gray-Man when she is caught by the recently arrived Road in the Rewinding Town arc. It's a part of a Go-Go Enslavement moment, as her captor also puts an Elegant Gothic Lolita gown on her just for the heck of it, and Lenalee's hair is normally in simple Girlish Pigtails.
- Chibi-Usa of Sailor Moon has similar hair to her mother, but instead of the pigtails being thin and ankle-length (and wouldn't qualify for this trope), they are poofy and shoulder length. In her adult form as Black Lady, they're still big and poofy, but also extend all the way to her feet, whereas when aged up and not made into Black Lady her twintails are longer than usual but to a lesser degree. Big Bad Nehellenia wore these as a child.
- In Ladies Versus Butlers!, Sernia has these◊. They even spin when she gets angry.
- Kodomo No Jikan has some characters with it, like Rin. It's too thick to just be long pigtails. It's even lampshaded in some Omakes.
- Highschool of the Dead: Saya's pigtails are impressive in terms of sheer length and volume, with each individually being near equal the width of her head. Which is best seen here and here.
- Variable Geo: Because of how short she is, Manami's pigtails are actually bigger than her body. Both are long enough that they nearly touch the floor, and have enough volume that they look as if they'd weigh more than she does too.
- Sayaka Suzuki "No.6" in Pani Poni Dash!. Sometimes she is referred as "big ribbon" or "over-sized" due to her hairstyle - giant pigtails tied with two large white ribbons.
- In her human form, Flower Card in Cardcaptor Sakura is a young woman in a Pimped-Out Dress and who sports a rather cute and big pair of 'tails
- Tiara from Shamanic Princess has huge pigtails, contrasting with her rival and friend Lena's longer but much straighter and loose hair.
- Elizabeth "Lizzie" Middleford from Black Butler. Look at those things!◊
- A couple of the Artificial Human girls in xxxHoLic have pigtails that are very poofy and nearly go down to their feet. Himawari's own pigtails aren't
- Mileina Vashti from Gundam 00. Until she lets her hair down in The Movie.
- When the members of the Ouran High School Host Club try cross-dressing, the twins wear wigs with these.
- When young, Rosemarie from Claudine had huge pigtails that were bigger than her own head.
- Moegi of Naruto wears her hair in two poofy pigtails that stick straight out from her head.
- Etia from Il Sole penetra le Illusioni has a truly impressive pair. They look to be larger than she is.
- Fredrica from Coffin Princess Chaika has a fairly large pair when in her human form.
- Nui Harime of Kill la Kill has an enormous pair. They possess enough volume for her to be picked up by them and airlifted. When she's sent flying through a wall, her Impact Silhouette has pigtails, too.
- Par for course in Ore, Twintail ni Narimasu!, but then again what would you expect for a series WITH twintails in its title?
Live Action TV
- Red Fraggle on Fraggle Rock. Each poofy globe is roughly the same size as her head.
- Kasane Teto, an UTAUloid, has the same hairstyle as Amy Sorel in the above picture, except in pink. That style was called, just for her, "Twin-Drills."
- The "splash page" art for The Nostalgia Chick videos is often done by Andrew Dickman, and he draws her pigtails thick and large.