So this Girly Bruiser
can look extra girly, while doing extra bruising.
A pair of huge pigtails on a girl, that are much larger than possible in Real Life
, at least not without loads of hair gel. The minimum hair size of both tails combined must be at least the size of the girl's head.
There can be many reasons for this, although the most common are either to make the pigtails clear even in long shots, or because of Rule of Cute
Quite often these pigtails have the hair in a spiral, which overlaps with Regal Ringlets
. However, girls with Mega Twintails are not necessarily of high station. It is more of a compromise halfway between the "girlishness" of Regal Ringlets
" of Girlish Pigtails
, both in looks and in personality.
Not to be confused with just having long hair in pigtails (like Sailor Moon
, Hatsune Miku
, or Hibiki
of Anime Hair
, and Bigger Is Better
Compare Girlish Pigtails
, '80s Hair
, Giant Poofy Sleeves
, Ojou Ringlets
open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- In Vivid Red Operation, Vivid Yellow has Mega Twintails larger than her entire body. They actually look like a cape from some angles.
- Miki, and her android double in Sailor Victory have large swirling tails, the latter even able to turn them into high powered fans.
- Leenalee Lee of D.Gray-Man when she is caught by the recently arrived Road in the Rewinding Town arc. It's a part of a Go-Go Enslavement moment, as her captor also puts an Elegant Gothic Lolita gown on her just for the heck of it, and Lenalee's hair is normally in simple Girlish Pigtails.
- Chibi-Usa of Sailor Moon has similar hair to her mother, but instead of the pigtails being thin and ankle-length (and wouldn't qualify for this trope), they are poofy and shoulder length. In her adult form as Black Lady, they're still big and poofy, but also extend all the way to her feet.
- In Ladies Versus Butlers!, Sernia has these◊.
- Kodomo No Jikan has some characters with it, like Rin. It's too thick to just be long pigtails. It's even lampshaded in some Omakes.
- Sayaka Suzuki "No.6" in Pani Poni Dash!. Sometimes she is referred as "big ribbon" or "over-sized" due to her hairstyle - giant pigtails tied with two large white ribbons.
- Mami in Puella Magi Madoka Magica straddles the line of The Ojou because of her family's wealth and her own class, and her brutal Gun Kata.
- When the members of the Ouran High School Host Club try cross-dressing, the twins wear wigs with these.
- When young, Rosemarie from Claudine had huge pigtails that were bigger than her own head.
- Moegi of Naruto wears her hair in two poofy pigtails that stick straight out from her head.
- Etia from Il Sole penetra le Illusioni has a truly impressive pair. They look to be larger than she is.
- Nui Harime of Kill la Kill has an enormous pair. They possess enough volume for her to be picked up by them an airlifted.
Live Action TV
- Red Fraggle on Fraggle Rock. Each poofy globe is roughly the same size as her head.
- Kasane Teto, an UTAUloid, has the same hairstyle as Amy Sorel in the above picture, except in pink. That style was called, just for her, "Twin-Drills."
- The female Ace Trainers in Pokémon Black and White.
- As does Gothitelle (they resemble four large black discs stuck to either side of its head).
- Mawile gains these with it's Mega-Evolution.
- The "splash page" art for The Nostalgia Chick videos is often done by Andrew Dickman, and he draws her pigtails thick and large.