- Version A: The feeling is reciprocal already, so the two start grabbing hands. Especially in front of a romantic movie.
- Version B: Bob (because the one doing the first step is Always Male) makes an attempt to lay his hand on Alice's hand/put his arm around her shoulders. She can protest loudly (slap him sometimes) and even go back home suddenly, or let him do while blushing. Romantic movies help that too.
- Version C: Thanks to Bob's shyness, hands contact was totally accidental, as both reach for popcorn for instance. It fits especially with couples who think they are Like Brother and Sister.
- Bob grabs the wrong hand. (Add bonus points if it's a huge, manly guy. Extra points if he seems to like it.)
- The lights went on before he has the time to do it.
- Friends came with and start to mock them, as Moment Killer.
- The popcorn/coke glass is suddenly spilled to kill the attempt. When it's coke, Alice frequently quits to go to the restroom (and not come back before the end of movie) while Bob is thinking "What an Idiot!" (especially if his clumsiness ruined Alice's favorite clothes).
- Bob makes a mistake and grabs his Abhorrent Admirer instead.
- He watches the Romantic False Lead embrace Alice. Those two things can overlap to add tension, or in the contrary lead to Pair the Spares.
- It can be Alice's point of view, and she can discover that it's somebody else (the big guy for instance, or a serial murderer like in Scream 2) that is embracing her.
- Sometimes at the beginning of scenes, arguments can happen for who gets to sit next to Alice (if she came with more than one boy)
open/close all folders
- Lolita: Humbert is sitting between Lolita and Mrs. Haze, her mother, at a drive-in movie (Hammer's Curse Of Frankenstein). At a scary scene, both women grab each of Humbert's hands. He withdraws his hand from Mrs. Haze's and places it over Lolita's. Another jolt, Lolita puts her other hand over his, then Mrs. Haze puts her hand on hers, feels around... then everyone withdraws their hands.
- DJ and her boyfriend in Full House, except an employee comes and breaks their kissing moment.
- Angel. While attending the ballet, Wesley and Gunn are sitting on either side of Winifred Burkle, whom both are interested in. Each slowly reach over to touch her (causing the audience to anticipate either a very startled Winifred or a hilarious accidental-gay joke) when she suddenly says that Angel and Cordy have been gone too long and they'd better go look for them.
- Vampire Kisses: Raven and Alexander's first kiss occurs in front of a television.
- Photographer Man ray tells in a biography his first date with model Kiki in a theater: "I was searching for Kiki's hand in the dark."
- Countless actual dates in cinemas and theatres the world over for as long as there have been such places have involved handsplay.
- Some chains of theaters have seats especially fit for two◊, invoking the trope.
- Which leads to the question of what would happen if theaters had seats designed like this...◊
Anime & Manga
- Subverted on the season one Opening Credits of Happy Days: Richie & Potsie are out with a couple of girls at the movies, the boys on the outside and the girls on the inside. Richie & Potsie both go for this, but end up touching hands themselves, and pull back.
- Averted in episode "The Fight" in Saved by the Bell. Slater and a new girl in school go to a theater, but Zack has a crush on her too. So he pays a lady to pretend she's Slater's mom, and to sit between them in order to kill any attempt.
Films — Live-Action
- Summer of '42: Hermie at the theater grabs what he supposes to be Aggie's bosom, but it was only her arm. At the very same time Oscy gets the "Stop it!" reaction with Miriam.
- As Told by Ginger, episode "Dare I, Darren?": Ginger ends up at the movies sitting between her crush Ian and her friend Darren, who she's started to think she might have feelings for. During a scary moment, she accidentally grabs both their hands. (And Ian's on a date with the Alpha Bitch at the time...)
- Avatar: The Last Airbender, subverted in "The Ember Island Players": Aang certainly intended to do so, but Zuko came and sat next to Katara. Zutarians supposed they do so later like in this fanart.
Anime & Manga
- Hayate the Combat Butler: During a few chapters of the manga, Hayate and Hinagiku wind up going to the movies together. Although it was the SC Rangers that set them up and provided the tickets, each of them had their own reasons for wanting it to go well (Hayate to ensure that Hina didn't hate him for the trouble he caused her, and Hina to show Hayate her feminine side/that she loved him). After a truly bizarre way getting there they sit in the theater and accidentally touch hands on the arm rest. The narration then promptly lampshades that the two of them only just realized it was a date.
Films — Animation
- Chicken Little, at the very end with Chicken Little and Abby while watching the movie about their story.
- Kim Possible:
- In the season 2 episode "Grudge Match", Ron accidentally touches Zita,the theater check-out girl, while taking popcorn.
- In "Exchange", Monique and Kim have the "I sit next to him" argument.