fights the Big Bad
and gets badly curbstomped
. He is already down for the count and all hope seems lost when time slows for him and the hero comes to some very important realization (sometimes it takes a Journey to the Center of the Mind
for them do so). He then stands up and easily defeats his opponent.
Congratulations! The Hero just had a Epiphany Comeback! They make him practically invincible for the duration of the fight, but expect them to wear off shortly after.
Not to be confused with Enlightenment Superpowers
Anime & Manga
- Played with epically by Roger Smith in the "Roger the Wanderer" episode of The Big O.
- Ichigo has one in Bleach against Kenpachi, when he realized that his sword wasn't just a tool, but was literally an extension of his soul. The sword has to tell him this, specifically to counter Kenpachi, who was strong without knowing the same lesson.
- Setsuna has one in Gundam 00 when he's fighting Ali-Al-Saachez after he steals a very powerful mobile suit, although it wasn't his epiphany that brought victory, exactly: due to a poorly timed backstab by Alejandro Cross, the Trans Am system activates in all the active gundams.
- Saizou in Brave 10 comes to realize he no longer thinks like an Iga ninja while being thoroughly beaten by a renegade member of his ninja school. Cue fight reversal.
- The titular character of Naruto is almost too terrified of Gaara to fight him, even when the lives of Sakura and Sasuke are on the line. Naruto makes a massive comeback when he realizes he's stronger when fighting on behalf of someone else, rather than just for himself like Gaara.
- Neo at the end of The Matrix comes back from death thanks to an epiphany. He proceeds to destroy the previously invincible Agent Smith with ease.
- You have to think in Russian in Firefox.
- Toph in Avatar: The Last Airbender invents metalbending this way, after she gets captured and locked in a metal cage.
- Later in the series, Aang has one at the final battle with the Pheonix King Ozai.
- A less dramatic example, but in The Legend of Korra, Korra is able to have a comeback in an important pro-bending game when she suddenly grasps the fundamentals of air-bending and applies them to her water-bending.