%% Image selected per Image Pickin' thread: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/posts.php?discussion=1452266899092104700
%% Please do not change or remove without starting a new thread.
[[quoteright:350:[[Film/TheWrongMan http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/6a00e5523026f588340134868999c2970c.png]]]]

SceneTransition in which one scene changes gradually into the other. The speed and timing of the dissolve can be used to add meaning to a scene transition.

Also known as a Cross Dissolve.

Stop a dissolve halfway, and you get superimposition. Dissolve with black (or occasionally white) and you get a FadeIn or FadeOut. The second-oldest film transition type (dating at least as far back as ''Film/JoanOfArc'' in 1900), after the HardCut.

In the earliest days, dissolves were done in-camera: expose the film while fading out the lights in one scene, wind it back, and shoot the second scene while raising the lights, producing a double-exposed shot. An analog editing bay does much the same job, by fading the light levels used to project the film onto the blank stock. In some films using this technique the colour and contrast shift before and after each dissolve, because the dissolved footage is a generation removed in quality.

In video, a dissolve is often called a "mix", because the analog circuitry required works almost exactly like that used in an audio mix, specifically a linear cross-fader. The signals are fed to the same output, but one falls in voltage as the other rises, so the waveform produced is the average of the two at any point.

Digital systems use math -- specifically weighted averaging of each pixel with its counterpart -- but [[WhenAllYouHaveIsAHammer they do everything with math.]]

A dissolve is often accompanied by a synchronized audio cross-fade, or a SplitEdit.

The musical equivalent of this is FadingIntoTheNextSong.