"God made men. Sam Colt made men equal."Some real-world firearms just look so cool people have to put them in things to show how awesome they are. In some cases, so much so that they appear more than in real life and / or in the wrong places, but this page is for the rest; cool guns that generally do belong where they are, are justified by internal backstory, or hidden under Hollywood embellishments. Regardless, these are the weapons that are often given that special close-up, spot on the cover, or speech extolling their virtues. Frequently, the real gun isn't quite as cool to actually use as fictional depictions would have you believe. Cool Guns may even have pride of place as a BFG or Hand Cannon, or at least be depicted as similarly awesome; this is particularly true if they have any unusual characteristics. If they do, this is a Cool Action, and will be listed with the weapon. This trope also includes the guns so widely used that you just can't get away without having them, since these too often get special attention from the cameraman. If not, they're just regular guns; the ones that are there purely because someone needs to fire something at someone else. See also Gun Porn, Good Guns, Bad Guns, Rare Guns, Gun Accessories, and the Sword Counterpart, Cool Sword.
— Popular saying referring to the Colt Single Action Army, or "Peacemaker"
- Machine Pistols
- Submachine Guns
- Assault Rifles
- Battle Rifles
- Sniper Rifles
- Machine Guns
- Rockets Missiles And Grenade Launchers
Fictional Cool Guns
Anime and Manga
- In Masamune Shirow's works, the small arms manufacturer Seburo and their productions appear frequently, alongside real guns.
- The Dominators from Psycho-Pass. Accept no substitutes. The second season and the movie introduce the Assault Dominator, which can shoot through walls.
- Judge Dredd's sidearm, the Lawgiver, is a Smart Gun capable of firing multiple ammunition types and explodes if an unauthorised user attempts to use it. The original Lawgiver is listed under pistols, as it was based on a Luger.
- Hellboy give us the Good Samaritan. A giant revolver that fires four, yet very large and powerful shots. The barrel and cylinder forged from church bells, with the grips made from pieces of the cross Jesus was crucified on. There is also Big Baby, which is this time a revolving shotgun that fires very large shells.
- Scaramanga's "Golden Gun", that can be assembled from simple parts and used for assassinations. It's been a staple weapon in many 007 video games such as Goldeneye 007 and Nightfire as a one shot, one kill weapon.
- The Gravity Gun from Half-Life 2. With your own personal tractor beam at your side, you can pick up all manner of objects to shoot at your enemy, including buzzsaws. Then it gets supercharged at the end of the game and those caught in the shadow of Gordon Freeman have cause to fear.
- The Portal Gun is a rather odd example of a gun seeing as it isn't particularly useful for violent encounters outside of some very specific scenarios. Still, a gun is a gun and there's nothing quite like being able to connect two distant places with a portal to a flat wall.
- Reaper's Hellfire shotguns don't behave much differently to regularly guns. He dual wields two of them and they fire four shots apiece. Rather than reloading an empty gun, however, Reaper simply tosses his guns aside and pulls a new pair out from his Badass Longcoat. Still, though, those guns are very stylish and cool.
- While the Doom series gave many different weapons, the weapon that tops them all would have to be the BFG9000, which makes mincemeat of many demons Doomguy encounters.
- The Fallout series features the Fat Man, a personal mini nuke launcher. It's generally one of if not the strongest weapon in the game, and can defeat most enemies in a single shot. Sadly, the rarity and expense of ammo and risk of getting caught in the blast often keep it in the Awesome, but Impractical or Too Awesome to Use category, brought out only for the most dangerous enemies. If you didn't forget it in storage, because it's one of the heaviest weapons available.