Blanket Tug O' War
"A plugger knows that one good turn gets most of the blanket."
Unfortunately, people aren't always able to be still when they sleep. They may likely end up trapped in a tangle of sheets and blankets by the time they wake up. This is just what happens when someone is sleeping alone.
If someone else is sleeping in the bed, they will usually have to put up with a sleeping partner who constantly pulls the sheet over him/herself. This may be done unconsciously, or the other sleeper is actively seeking warmth. This would, of course, happen at the expense of the other person in the bed, who will start feeling cold and will probably grab the sheets back. Then, the first sheet-hogger gets cold again, and they tug the sheets back towards themselves, and...you get the picture
Sometimes accompanies There Is Only One Bed
, but is not necessarily its subtrope.
Film - Animated
Film - Live Action
- In the second Nanny McPhee movie, when the kids are forced to share their beds with farm animals, the little elephant sharing with Vincent (the youngest child) pulls the blanket off Vincent with its trunk. The scene cuts short after this moment, though.
- In National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, Audrey and Rusty are forced to share a bed when their grandparents come over for the holidays, leading to this.
- On The Cosby Show, Cliff and Claire have an argument in bed. Claire then took all the covers, prompting Cliff to say, "I didn't want them anyway."
- Taken to extremes on Everybody Loves Raymond. After a tiff in bed, Debra took all the covers and went downstairs to sleep on the couch. For good measure, she turned down the thermostat.
- Cougar Town has one in "Don't Do Me Like That" between Jules and a drunken Laurie.
- Star Trek: The Next Generation. Between Captain Picard and Vash in "Captain's Holiday" while camping in a cave. Coitus Ensues not long afterwards.
- Smosh: In "Paranormal Easy Bake Oven," among other running gags, Anthony repeatedly does this to Ian, despite the wall of pillows Ian keeps building to prevent this (and prevent Anthony from feeling up Ian in his sleep).
- Tom and Jerry: In "Million Dollar Cat", not only does Jerry pull on Tom's sheets, but he also shoves Tom out of bed.
- Spongebob Squarepants: An interesting variation in "Home Sweet Pineapple" - Patrick invites the newly homeless SpongeBob to be his "rockmate," so they sleep on opposite sides of Patrick's rock, with the rock being the blanket in this scenario.
- My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic: Applejack and Rarity do this in "Look Before You Sleep".
- Rugrats: Happens when Tommy is staying the night at Chuckie's house. Though normally the best of friends, they soon begin to fight which leads from Tommy hogging most of the blanket while both are sleeping in the same crib. Whenever Chuckie takes the blanket back, Tommy just pulls it back over himself, leaving Chuckie to shiver from the cold. They eventually make up and Tommy shares some of the blanket.
- Occurs in the Looney Tunes short "Daffy Duck Slept Here".