Literature: The Unexpected Witness
Written by D.L. Bell and first sold in October 2013, The Unexpected Witness tells the story of Tracy Weaver, who as a young girl witnessed a murder on her father's farm out in Somverville, Ohio. The murder itself went unsolved for years, and in time Tracy became a self-sufficient college student who also works for the local Rent-A-Cop. She has romantic interests in a classmate of hers, a mechanic by the name of Paul Wilsen. They get together and start dating, and Tracy meets a few of Paul's friends. On Halloween night, they're all together for a game of cards when Tracy sees the chief murderer in an advertisement...
Tropes present in this work:
- The Alleged Car - Paul's car, which at one point is described in-story as being "more rust than ic."
- Curb-Stomp Battle - In Leon's backstory, he was challenged by an Arrogant Kung-Fu Guy, and this was the result. Also happens twice in rapid succession at the end of the plot, Ed to Paul and then Leon to Ed.
- I Know Karate
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold - Paul's friends
- Obstructive Bureaucrat - The local cops, though only because of the perspective of the story.
- Unusual Euphemism - "The Painted Pony" for Heroin