Literature: Smith of Wootton Major
"Smith of Wootton Major" is a late work by J. R. R. Tolkien, about a smith who received, when a young child, a magical star that let him travel in the Land of Faerie.
Tropes included in the tale:
- A Friend in Need: The birch.
- Bittersweet Ending: With his giving up the star.
- The Blacksmith: The main character.
- Dances and Balls: In a vale in Faerie.
- Everyone Calls Him Barkeep: Actually once they called him "Smithson" but then just "Smith".
- The Fair Folk: brushed on
- Happily Married: Smith.
- It Was a Gift: The silver coin.
- King Incognito: Smith meets the queen of Faerie once without realizing it. Also, Alf.
- Land of Faerie: Where the star let him go.
- Meaningful Name: Alf.
- Once Upon a Time
- Protective Charm: The star.
- Victorious Childhood Friend: Nell.