Contains examples of:
- A God Am I - The Caped Ones
- Badass - Most of the characters, notably the sadistic Lopez. He is tortured by the caped ones longer than any over man and managed to stay sane.
- Eternal English - Subverted, it is heavily implied that Marcus sows the seeds for many English words as well as making up nonsense ones.
- Humanoid Abomination- The Big Bad of the book. Polonius after betraying the other caped ones.
- Love Makes You Evil - Marcus after Evelyn dies.
- MacGuffin - The time machine
- Our Souls Are Different - After trading his soul Marcus goes from grieving over his dead wife to a half-crazed Anti-Hero hell-bent on wreaking havoc on time itself.
- Temporal Paradox