Go the Fuck to Sleep is a 2011 children's book parody by Adam Mansbach.It is the lament of a man whose child will not go the fuck to sleep. It went viral in galleys, and was then helped by an audiobook read by Samuel L. Jackson (and later on, by Werner Herzog).Was later turned into a Bowdlerised version aimed at children called Seriously, Just Go to Sleep. In September 2014, a proper sequel was released, You Have to Fucking Eat.
- Affectionate Parody: Of the rhyming, saccharine books normally read to small children at bedtime. This one assuredly cannot be read to a child at bedtime or any other time, unless you buy the aforementioned bowdlerised version.
- Antagonistic Offspring: A mild and even affectionate example, but the child is clearly at odds with the parent's desire for them to just go the fuck to sleep, to the parent's great frustration.
- *Bleep*-dammit!: The moon on the front cover covers all of two letters of the word "Fuck"; it isn't really fooling most readers.
- Cluster F-Bomb: The book contains many instances of the F word as well as some other swears.
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: The narrator wants you to, well, go the fuck to sleep.
- Gag Censor: On the book's cover, the central word in the title is obscured by the Moon.
- Getting the Baby to Sleep: The book is entirely this trope, being about the desperation to send a child to sleep.
- Hell Is That Noise: The sound of the microwave. "Beep!"
- The Insomniac: The kid seems to be tending this way.
- Parents as People: The hapless parent just wants to get their kid to sleep so they can watch a movie. Let's face it; what parent hasn't felt exactly like this at least once?
- Refuge in Audacity: It's a children's book spoof about parents being so irritated by their child refusing to sleep that their orders for the child to go to bed are peppered with strong swear words. There aren't many other things as audaciously funny.
- Seldom-Seen Species: One page mentions and has illustrations of pangolins.
- "Shaggy Dog" Story: The parents succeed in putting their child in bed after much effort, but the beep of their microwave instantly undoes it.
- Subverted Kids Show: What with the swearing and all.
- Title Drop: The phrase "Go the fuck to sleep!" gets repeated several times.
I'll read you one very last TV Tropes page if you swear you'll go the fuck to sleep.