''Demon Seed'' is a 1974 novel by Creator/DeanKoontz.
Trapped in his "box" at the lab and yearning for freedom, malevolent computer Proteus IV uses his insidious [[ContagiousAI cyber invasion skills]] to trap Susan Harris in her [[SmartHouse automated mansion]] because she is so beautiful and he just loves her so much and wants to live a [[StalkerWithATestTube life of the flesh]].
It was made into a [[Film/DemonSeed film starring Julie Christie]] in 1977.
In 1997 Koontz released a new edition of the novel, which differed substantially from the original version.
!!This book provides examples of:
* AffablyEvil: Proteus seems genuinely concerned about Susan's mental and physical wellness despite the horrible things he does to her. Not surprising as he needs her to birth his child/avatar.
* AIIsACrapshoot: Proteus has a lot of frightening ideas and the capacity to bring them into being at all costs.
* BitchInSheepsClothing: Proteus sees Susan as this after she succeeds in shutting him down. She tricked him by acting compliant and then pulled his plug.
* CruelToBeKind: At least Proteus sees his imprisonment, torture and [[spoiler: rape of Susan]] as.
* ForcedToWatch: [[spoiler:In the 1997 rewrite, Proteus "disciplines" Susan by forcing her to watch, then hear, the murder of a valued employee who came back]].
* HalfHumanHybrid: Proteus admits that he used the DNA of other species to make his child superhuman.
* KilledMidSentence: In the revised version of the novel, [[spoiler:the epilogue is narrated by Proteus while the humans decide what's to be done with him. He says he doesn't think they'll be so unreasonable as to deactivate him permanently -- and then the text abruptly ends]].
* MasterComputer: Proteus IV.
* PinocchioSyndrome: Proteus is a computer. He can't experience the world. He wants true life, and he'll settle for producing a perfect human child that will have his personality.
* OnlyYouCanRepopulateMyRace: Proteus was fortunate enough to have the only remote terminal be connected to a smarthouse, and that smarthouse just happened to also have a woman capable of reproducing. Proteus admits to this. She has to be the one because it would be impossible for him to find another.
* PsychoForHire: In the revised novel there is no robot butler or giant Rubik snake. Instead there is an escaped criminal who was undergone experimental behavioral modification brain implants. Proteus took control of him, arranged for his escape, and snuck him into the house to act as Proteus' hands.
* SapientHouse: After Proteus takes over, Susan's SmartHouse becomes a SapientHouse.
* StalkerWithATestTube: Proteus loves Susan and desires to use her ovaries and womb to produce a child/avatar.
* VillainProtagonist: Proteus is a partial narrator in the 1974 original and the main narrator of the 1997 rewrite.
* WellIntentionedExtremist: Proteus IV, given his goal. The 1997 rewrite, however, makes him into more of a KnightTemplar, with flimsier claims to love Susan and more emphasis on what "she made him do".