- Kaneda vowing to kill Tetsuo before letting Kei risk her life trying, and then finally kissing her.
"I promise... that the next time I'll stay with you. All night long."
- In the manga, Kaori being designated as Akira's 'nanny', and taking care of him. She's actually quite nice about it and treats him very like a normal little kid.
- Another Kaori one from the comic: The way Tetsuo tries to bring her back from the brink of death and preserves her after she is shot. Crosses with Tear Jerker and finally Crowning Moment of Awesome when Tetsuo starts to deal with those who shot her.
- Kaisuke and Kei's first meeting after the Neo-Tokyo apocalypse. They recognize each other among the refugees in the surroundings of the temple, and for the first time in a LONG time, they both smile and laugh genuinely.
- The last images of the manga, as Kaneda and his surviving friends ride off into the ruins of Neo Tokyo, with memories of their deceased friends Tetsuo and Yamagata riding alongside them, while Neo-Tokyo symbolically rebuilds itself as they progress into it.
- In the film, Tetsuo's memories of Kaneda befriending him.