- Light blurting out "I'm Kira" when trying to avoid a persistent stalker.
- After Watari drugged him, Light is mumbling in his sleep, having Bad Dreams when he bolts awake:
Light: L'S TRYING TO KILL ME WITH DIABETES!
- From the prologue:
L: Wherever it is that you, my true successor, are hiding, enjoy your last few days of normalcy. L's life is a hard one. One you're going to start soon. No matter who or where you are. I'll find you. And when I do, you're not getting away from me. I am justice, and justice will always prevail.
- "The day a man like that retires is the day I come out of the closet... Wait, it's not that I'm in the closet, I just meant... it's impossible ok! Never gonna happen."
- L is thinking about locking Light up if he denies his generous offer and Watari is somehow able to guess his thought process:
Watari: L, you are not going to lock up the poor boy just because he has no wish to be a detective.
- Light's answers on the Psych Evaluation.
- Sayu shows what she really thinks of her brother:
Sayu: Hehe I just don't understand why we're in this old abandon warehouse. I mean when we showed up here, my first thought was that you were going to show me all your murder victims. And then when I screamed you were going to 'add me to your collection'.
Light: What the hell, Sayu?
Sayu: Hey! It was only a little less likely!
Light: Less likely then what?
Sayu: You being gay.
Light: I shouldn't have asked.
Sayu: Hey it's possible.
Light: So you think I'm a gay murderer?
- Light's First-Person Smartass when he gets guilted into going home with Misa:
- When L puts cameras in his house Light attempts to look normal by reading porn:
Light (thinking): Slut, (page turn) slut, (page turn) slut, (page turn) not even 18, (page turn) slut, (page turn) whore, (page turn) gross, (page turn) eww, just eww. This just sucks.
- "And so Light fell to his death..."
- Matt nicknames Light "PB" (for Pretty Boy, not Peanut Butter!)
- Light sets up a false trail for his pursuers that leads through Minnesota to Fargo, North Dakota.
- While on the run, muddy and exhausted, Light strikes up a mental conversation with the mud on his clothes:
Light: I think we should see other people. This relationship isn't going to work out. I mean, I should be with a shower right now, and you down the drain; maybe with a nice dead goldfish to hang with...