Funny: H.P. Lovecraft
There was a brilliant Alternate Character Interpretation of Lovecraft on Twitter: Drunk Lovecraft. Yes, you read that right—and it's amazing. "Bitter, divorced, re-animated author of weird fiction. Has developed a bit of a drinking problem since returning from the grave." Now defunct, but it contained gems like...
- "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the ability of the human mind to obliterate all its contents with sweet, sweet gin."
- "When confronted by the fungi from Yuggoth, try and lick one. They'll still take your brain, but you'll be high as a motherfucker."
- "Today a cocker spaniel humped my leg, and I immediately thought of August Derleth."
- "If you think God moves in mysterious ways, you've never seen Yog-Sothoth take the dance floor."
- Although The Case Of Charles Dexter Ward is anything but funny, this line could be construed as darkly humorous:
There was something hideous, blasphemous, and abnormal about it [a voice], and but for a cry from his recovering wife which cleared his mind by arousing his protective instincts it is not likely that Theodore Howland Ward could have maintained for nearly a year his old boast that he had never fainted.
- Similarly, the last line of "The Statement of Randolph Carter" walks a thin line between comedy and Nightmare Fuel:
"You fool, Warren is DEAD!"
- Lovecraft's Melodrama parody "Sweet Ermengarde" is intentionally funny, as is his T. S. Eliot parody "Waste Paper."