* Honestly, a majority of the plot and setting can be considered FridgeBrilliance, as the more you look at it the more everything seems to lock together on a variety of levels. Even the most bizarre aspects of the game end up being [[JustifiedTrope justified]] since [[spoiler: reality becomes whatever nonsense is spread widely enough by word of mouth, no matter how insane or stupid the rumor happens to be.]] Even the things that don't make any kind of sense, on reflection, make perfect sense.
* Baofu's Persona's starting arcana is the Hanged Man. [[spoiler: He's constantly feeling guilty about how his Persona managed to save him but did nothing for his lover. He gets over it after a while.]]
* An argument about Hitler's inclusion resulting in accusations of Japan whitewashing their involvement with WorldWarII made me realize something: Hitler would have been the only choice that would have made sense. Both Mussolini and Tojo are deader than dead, there were witnesses. Due to mismanagement, nobody could prove that Hitler really died and this spawned numerous conspiracy theories that Hitler is hiding somewhere.
* When contacting a demon, I always wondered why it seemed that each emotion already had a rank in them. Then you consider that upon a demon seeing a human, it makes perfect sense. A demon would be Happy to see something other than a demon, Angry that they're being bothered by a battle, Eager to learn more about the human, and Scared of what the human might be capable of. Then you build on each emotion from there.
* At the very end of Innocent Sin, [[spoiler:Maya's death by the Spear of Longinus and the end of the world]] feels like ''such'' a DiabolusExMachina - you just won! You beat the final boss, you proved Philemon in the right and Nyarlathotep in the wrong! Philemon had even just praised you for showing humanity's potential... And yet it makes perfect sense, because it's Nyarlathotep firing off one last ChekhovsGun he had set up, one with enough subtlety that you could be utterly blind-sided by its execution (or at least forget about it with all the Nazi stuff going on), and he decided to pull the trigger then despite being beaten because he's FlippingTheTable. You think the embodiment of the human self-destructive urge ''wouldn't'' give everything one final nudge even after "losing" the game when it's so easy for him to do so? Sure, it may be a DiabolusExMachina, but it's a very literal one since you were the pawns in a game between gods, and who says gods have to play fair?
** By extension, the BittersweetEnding of Innocent Sin ([[spoiler:everyone alive and better off in the alternate universe, but no longer friends]]) follows quite naturally into Eternal Punishment because why the heck would you expect a complete asshole like Nyarly to honor having lost the game, or even honor Philemon picking up the pieces and putting them back in a box? Of course he was going to screw everything up again. Compared to all the groundwork laid in the backstory of Innocent Sin, bringing a lot of it back into play for Eternal Punishment must've been child's play when all he had to do was nudge a few memories back open and repurpose his grand scheme around a different conspiracy theory.
** The DiabolusExMachina actually ends up making perfect sense in the end due to one little detail that the whole game has been built around, [[spoiler:The Rumors. The rumor were that the world would end on the day of the Grand Cross when Maya was stabbed by the Holy Spear, and since rumors come true, it happened. Nyarly didn't teleport Maya to them, the rumors did. And remember, Nyarly doesn't win cause the world get's destroyed, he wins cause a human makes an unspeakably evil act to save themselves, the rest of the world be damned. The rumors required Maya to die, it only just happened to be a different Maya than everyone expected]].
* Hitler's symmetry with the Masked Circle becomes brilliant when you think about it. Hitler and Jun are basically the same: they both want humanity to ascend to an ideal state by questionable methods, but neither can be called a WellIntentionedExtremist because their "ultimate race" doesn't exist at the end. Adding to that is the fact that they both took an idea, spread it to everyone in the place they believed would be the ultimate nation, and built their empire on it: Jun spread the Joker Curse around Sumaru City (home of Xibalba), while Hitler spread anti-Semitism around Germany (the One Empire/Ein Reich). However, while Hitler hated most of humanity but liked a select few, Jun likes humanity in general but doesn't care about killing a few individual humans.
* The Masked Circle targeted Kasugayama High as the first place to steal Ideal Energy on a large scale. Why there and not Seven Sisters, another high school of about equal size? Someone from each school (Hanya and Yasuo) called the Joker, and Lady Scorpio (Anna) goes to Seven Sisters. Kasugayama doesn't seem like a better target until you find [[spoiler: Joker is a student there!]]
* It seems awfully convenient that Eikichi has those two pink handguns to give to Maya when she needs them. Meanwhile, Lisa is stuck punching things with gloves on. This isn't unfair; it was Lisa's decision. When the party goes to the Ramen Shop to buy weapons, the owner gives them the weapons without asking what they want. She most likely intended for Lisa to use the guns, but Lisa passed them up in favor of punching. Ulala expresses the same sentiment in Eternal Punishment.
* Tatsuya is extremely good with machines due to the rumor that he's good at them because he's fixing up his motorbike all the time. His starting Persona is Vulcanus, the Roman equivalent of Hephaestus, the blacksmith god of the Greek pantheon.
** Maya's starting Persona, Maia, is the mother of Hermes. [[spoiler: Maya is important to the original Masked Circle as their motherlike figure, especially to Jun, whose Persona is Hermes.]]
* It's small, but it just occurred to me now: Tatsuya and Jun as children exchange the lighter and watch ''in front of a wedding gown boutique''.
* Hyperion's Signature Move, Justice Shot, is unusual among Ultimate Persona in that unlike the standard 'deals lots of damage' Signature Moves, it has a HP to One effect. Katsuya is a cop; he wants to bring people in alive.
** In Innocent Sin, Tatsuya's Nova Kaiser/Cyther move does Light and Almighty damage. In Eternal Punishment, it deals Nuclear damage. This might be symbolic of how like nuclear power, Tatsuya in EP is powerful, but also [[spoiler: breaking apart the world by existing.]]
** In Innocent Sin, all of the five endgame characters have similar and complimentary Ultimate Personas. All of them use Light damage as a part of their Signature Moves, and each of their Ultimate Personas represent clearly an element: Fire, Water, Wind, Earth, and Ice. In contrast, Eternal Punishment has the protagonists move away from the elements they start with, and their Signature Move setups are different. In Innocent Sin, the similarities represent [[spoiler: the deep relationship they have with each other. They compliment each other because their lives were shaped by each other long ago.]] The ElementalPowers represent [[spoiler: Sentai shows, and how the protagonists' Personas are heavily related to Phoenix Featherman. The Elemental Powers are their way of expressing how they're part of the FiveManBand]]. The Eternal Punishment cast [[spoiler: knew each other for about a few weeks at most, except for high school friends Maya and Ulala and brothers Katsuya and Tatsuya. Their sense of self is not dependent on each other, except in the case of Tatsuya and Katsuya, who both get nuclear sun deities for Personas. As a result, their Personas do not compliment each other.]] The EP cast also moves away from their starting elements because as adults, they are shaped by more than just childhood and took on responsibility and other lowercase personas.
* Tamaki getting beaten by King Leo, a mid-boss, seems like the WorfEffect at work, since she's a Megaten protagonist who canonically beat her game. But there is some justification: at the end of ''if..'', [[BagOfSpilling Tamaki frees all her demons and lets her Guardian go]]. She wasn't using the endgame demons or endgame stats when she fought him.
* If Nyarlahotep is the embodiment of humanity's weakness, if destroys humanity, won't he die to?
** Perhaps he doesn't care. Humanity's weaknesses include a self-harm, which Nyarlathotep would exhibit was well.
** Nah, he's the collective embodiment of the darkness in every person, and when people die their minds return to the Sea of Consciousness. So long as that still exists he and Philemon have nothing to fear.
* If you think about it, it makes sense that Maya gets killed by the Lance of Longinus because Maya's ultimate persona Artemis is weak against physical attacks.
* In EP when the gang get trapped in the Kimon Tonku formation, there's a TV Producer who is quite rightfully scared about being trapped. We don't see her again after the spell is broken and everything returns to normal. Was she still stuck under the influence of the spell?
* Ginji Sasaki is painted as a creepy womanizer who particularly tries to take advantage of the adolescent girls he manages as an idol band producer. However, men who end up in jobs where they have some kind of power over teen girls - like idol producers or teachers - [[AllMenArePerverts are often considered suspect by others]]. It's entirely possible Sasaki was perfectly respectable, but these extremely common rumors transformed him into the villain he ends up as, much as the escalating rumors turned the Masked Circle into TheConspiracy in the first place.
** Hell, the entire rumor curse operates on this breed of NightmareFuel. Imagine that, just by spreading a rumor, you could be rewriting someone's entire existence and sense of self on the fly, with them none the wiser. Imagine that, just by spreading a rumor, someone else could be rewriting ''your'' entire existence and sense of self on the fly, with you none the wiser. Who knows how many people in Sumaru City have had their entire lives retconned just because a few people wished ill on them...