A British horror film by the refinanced "Hammer Films" starring Creator/AidanGillen, Eva Birthistle, and Creator/TimothySpall. It tells the story of a couple who, after losing their daughter to a crazed dog, learn that the small English town of Wake Wood, to which they moved, brims with pagan magic. After the death of one of the locals, an opportunity arises to revive their daughter, Alice, for three days. The ritual works and the parents are overjoyed, but something is very wrong with their returned daughter.
!! This film provides examples of:
* AdultFear: Your child gets attacked by a rabid dog, and you arrive too late to save them.
* BackFromTheDead: Alice, and later on [[spoiler: Louise.]] Both for only three days, though.
* BloodMagic: Part of the resurrection ritual requires living blood; Louise offers some of hers.
* BodyMotifs: The film has a lot of imagery associated with giving birth. Patrick gives a c-section at one point, and the resurrection ritual even looks like a birth scene; the latter part is lampshaded by Louise.
* BrokenMasquerade: [[spoiler: Though Patrick and Louise try to hide from Alice the fact that she was dead and now alive again, Alice is shown to have brief visions of the resurrection ritual, implying that she knows what happened. On the final day, she even pleads with her parents not to send her back to the afterlife.]]
* ChekhovsGun: [[spoiler: The windmills.]]
* ChekhovsSkill: [[spoiler: Patrick's ability to perform C-sections.]]
* ClosedCircle: Those who perform the resurrection spell are bound to the town and unable to go beyond its borders. What this means for the living is unclear, but is particularly [[CriticalExistenceFailure painful]] to the dead, at least until they're brought back inside.
* CreepyChild: Alice grows increasingly creepier as the three days go on.
* CriticalExistenceFailure: If Alice steps outside of Wake Wood, her body begins to fall apart; the gashes that appear seem to be the same damage caused by the dog that mauled her before.
* [[spoiler: EnfantTerrible: Alice [[CameBackWrong following her resurrection.]]]]
* EquivalentExchange: One recently deceased body must be used to bring one person back from the dead. The resurrected will also acquire some traits from the recycled body; in Alice's case, her resurrected body has the brown eyes of the man who's corpse was used, rather than their previously green color.
* GenreBlindness: Patrick and Louise are given very specific rules about resurrecting their daughter which they [[NiceJobBreakingItHero willfully violate]] at every turn. [[spoiler: Then there's the act of a husband and wife holding one another, sobbing with relief that the nightmare is finally over while [[TooDumbToLive standing directly on top of the shallow grave of the unstoppable undead abomination they just finished burying seconds before.]]]]
* KickTheDog: No animal that crosses [[spoiler: Alice's]] path remains unscathed.
* InfantImmortality: The aversion of this trope is what kicks off the whole plot.
* OurZombiesAreDifferent: A very intriguing example. Those who have been dead for less than a year will return to life exactly as they were for three days. They may show confusion and agitation by the third day but can easily be calmed by a special talisman/restraint and will return to the earth willingly. [[spoiler: Those who have been dead longer appear normal but gradually grow homicidal. They possess superhuman strength, the ability to disrupt electricity, and are immune to the talismans.]]
* PostModernMagick: Modern machinery/construction equipment is used in the resurrection ritual; Arthur even comments that it wasn't like this before.
* TheReveal: [[spoiler: Patrick and Louise lied about Alice being dead for less than a year. Because of this, the resurrected Alice grows increasingly evil as the three days progress.]]
* RuleOfThree: The resurrected only have three days in the living world before they must return.
* TakingYouWithMe: One way to interpret [[spoiler: Alice pulling Louise down with her in the film's climax, especially if one notes that Alice seemed to make a comment about being "alone."]]
* TemptingFate: "If we have to lie, isn't it worth it?"
* TownWithADarkSecret: Subverted. The villagers give every indication of being an evil small-town cult. [[spoiler: It turns out they really do just want to help people see their dead loved ones again while doing their best to ensure the dead don't [[CameBackWrong come back wrong.]]]]
* WhamLine: [[spoiler: "When's the baby coming?"]]
* WhyDontYouJustShootHim: [[spoiler: Alice has the perfect opportunity to kill Arthur, but she doesn't.]]