A 2000 adventure drama film directed by Martin Campbell, about a group of climbers who become stranded in an avalanche on K2, and the rescue mission launched to find them. With a cast including Chris O'Donnell, Creator/BillPaxton, Robin Tunney, and Creator/ScottGlenn, and loads and loads of SceneryPorn, it won several awards for drama and visual effects.
!!This film provides examples of:
* BigBrotherInstinct: The reason Peter’s so insistent on rescuing Annie, even though multiple other characters insist it’s suicide.
* CanadaEh: Monique is French-Canadian. Skip says that when she's in a good mood she's Canadian but when she's not, she's French.
* CutTheSafetyRope: Happens to the main characters’ father in the prologue, causing the friction between him and his sister. All the more heartbreaking as it was the son who cut the rope at his father’s insistence just moments before the sister was able to attach additional securing that might have saved them. Repeated with an IronicEcho at the end of the film when TheMentor [[spoiler:sacrifices both himself and the SmugSnake (unwillingly) to save the others.]]
* DwindlingParty: Out of 6 rescuers and 3 trapped people, two rescuers and one trapped person survive the movie- four people lost to save one person.
* EveryoneKnowsMorse: A realistic and justified version. Peter uses Morse code to try and contact the team. Only one other person at the base camp is shown being able to understand it; and on the mountain, Tom knows that it is Morse code but only Annie responds. It's later revealed that Peter and Annie's father made them learn Morse code, so Peter was probably trying to contact her.
* FakeUltimateHero: Vaughn, whose last trip up K2 was much-publicized due to the death of several members of the climbing party. It’s revealed that he didn’t survive through any skill of his own, but because [[spoiler:he stole the [[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dexamethasone#High-altitude_illnesses dexamethasone]] from Wick’s wife, which ultimately resulted in her death.]] Wick suspects this, and later gets confirmation.
* FinallyFoundTheBody: The group finds Wick’s wife’s frozen body on their way up the mountain, along with evidence that [[spoiler:Vaughn]] took all her dex doses, causing her death.
* GeniusLoci: Wick talks about the K2 as such at one point, saying that it "wanted" Vaughn to return because it hadn't "claimed" him the first time around.
* HeroicSacrifice: Several. The film opens with Annie and Peter’s father insisting they CutTheSafetyRope so his weight doesn’t pull them all down. [[spoiler:Wick]] does this too, conveniently getting revenge on [[spoiler:Vaughn]] in a TakingYouWithMe moment. Vaughn also tries to convince an injured Tom to pull one in order to save the dex for himself, though both Tom and Annie call him out for being a selfish bastard.
* ImColdSoCold: [[spoiler:Tom]]. Unsurprising, since he’s, you know, freezing to death.
* ImportantHaircut: Done with a beard but Wick shaves off all his long facial hair before going on the climb.
%%* ItsAllAboutMe: [[spoiler:Vaughn.]]
* JerkassHasAPoint: One of the characters initially argues against sending up a rescue team, claiming that it is foolish to risk six lives to save three. [[spoiler:Ultimately, the rescue team lose four members and only succeed in rescuing one of the trapped climbers, making his point very valid.]]
* KarmicDeath: [[spoiler:Vaughn. He killed Wick's wife, and his final lines are his constant screaming in terror as Wick pulls a TakingYouWithMe HeroicSacrifice]].
* TheLostLenore: Wick’s wife, who died during Vaughn’s first expedition up the mountain. It’s later revealed that [[spoiler:Vaughn stole the dex from her, essentially murdering her so he could survive]].
%%* TheMentor: Montgomery Wick.
* AMillionIsAStatistic: Subverted. There are several climbers on the trip and at first Peter and many others at base camp are overjoyed that Annie, Vaughn and Tom survived the avalanche they quickly realise that everyone else is dead. Highlighted by showing Karim devastated that his cousin isn't among the survivors.
* MoneyDearBoy: In-universe, this is the biggest reason Monique goes with the rescue team.
* MortalWoundReveal: [[spoiler:Tom]] gets one of these. We know he’s been injured in the avalanche, but not how badly until Annie lifts his shirt up and shows his ribcage has basically been caved in.
* NitroExpress: The rescue party hauls some nitroglycerine up the mountain, to help locate the climbers stranded by the avalanche.
* TheOneThingIDontHateAboutYou: The Pakistani military officer admits that despite the Indians being their mortal enemies, they make really good tea.
* RagtagBunchOfMisfits: The crew assembled to go rescue the stranded climbers looks like this from the outside. A half-crazy mountain man, two slacker brothers, a woman in it for the money… Subverted in that they’re all actually experienced climbers who know what they’re doing.
* SanitySlippage: Wick looks like a case of this from the outside. In reality he’s simply never stopped grieving for his dead wife.
* ScalingTheSummit: It's about an expedition to K2 that meets with disaster after an avalanche, and a subsequent expedition sent to rescue them.
* SceneryPorn: It’s set on K2, and was filmed on several mountains, so this is kind of inevitable.
* ShamingTheMob: Peter does this when trying to put together a team to go rescue the stranded climbers. The Bench brothers are much more blunt about it, basically calling most of the camp a bunch of cowards too busy writing their autobiographies to do any actual climbing.
* TheShill: While it did gather decent reviews and even won some awards for it's visual effects, it's mostly remembered nowadays as among the films recommended by "David Manning", a fake reviewer created by Sony to praise movies that underperformed.
* TitleDrop: Done by Montgomery Wick on a speech about near the end. He is talking to Tom about how much of a DeathWorld being several thousand feet in the air in the mountain is and how Tom is pretty much ready to drop dead by this point-which he ''will'', if he doesn't accepts Wick's help, even with the ulterior motives Wick has for going for the survivors.
* ShootTheDog: Vaughn, not wanting to share the dex with Tom (who’s been injured in the avalanche), [[spoiler:injects him with air, killing him with a pulmonary embolism.]]
%%* SnowMeansDeath: Kind of the point of the movie.
* SuicideMission: Peter’s rescue attempt is seen as this, which is why he has such a hard time assembling a large enough team to try it.
%%* SurvivorGuilt: Peter has this.
* TakeAMomentToCatchYourDeath: [[spoiler:Two of the climbers get the message that the nitroglycerin they're carrying should be kept out of the sun... after its been in the sun a ''long'' time. They run, get in it the shade, and bury it in the snow. They sigh in relief, and even chuckle when they panic over almost dropping a water bottle. Unbeknownst to them, the nitro container is leaking and slowly reaches the sun. BOOOOOM!]]
%%* TakingYouWithMe: [[spoiler:Wick, to Vaughn]].
* TheyKnewTheRisks: The excuse given by almost everyone who refuses to go on the rescue mission. TruthInTelevision to an extent, since anyone willing to go on such a serious climb has to realize they stand a very real chance of dying.
%%* ThoseTwoGuys: The Bench brothers.
* TokenReligiousTeammate: Karim who is a Muslim.
* WhatIsOneMansLifeInComparison: Vaughn tries to pull this on Tom, telling him he’s got no chance so they shouldn’t bother wasting the dex on him. While he might have a point-- Tom ''is'' severely injured -- he’s a pretty cold-hearted bastard about it. Plus, Vaughn only says it because he wants all the dex for himself.
%%* WildHair: Montgomery Wick.